Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help with Petra + Wadi Rum please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Petra + Wadi Rum please!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA PP
I forgot to mention that the Rock Camp is significantly closer 15-20 mins away versus 90 mins to Wadi Rum but the booking includes access to the Petra Palace Hotel's pool. Extra if you opt for a Turkish Bath experience. Our plan is to take a quick dip at the pool as suggested by someone earlier in this thread after a full day at Petra and then head to The Rock Camp to watch the sunset, have dinner and look at the stars.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lilazncanadian
We will also be doing the Marriott Dead Sea Valley Resort the next night as well. Again conflicted - numerous reports of sharp rocks down to the dead sea and people falling into the water stinging their eyes. Adult pool rules not well enforced but the Moevenpick is $$$$ and does not seem to be that much better either.
Not sure what the reports of the "sharp rocks" have been. The trail down to the Dead Sea is quite nice, but can be a bit tiring on the walk back up in 100 degree temps. If you need it, the Marriott staff (typically 1-2 down by the Sea) can call in a golf cart to take you back up.

When you actually get into the water, there are large rocks (1' in diameter) in the water that you have to walk over, but the communal sea slippers that the Marriott provides will help provide you better traction.

The Marriott is quite nice, but definitely has more kids than the Moevenpick.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

We will also be doing the Marriott Dead Sea Valley Resort the next night as well. Again conflicted - numerous reports of sharp rocks down to the dead sea and people falling into the water stinging their eyes. Adult pool rules not well enforced but the Moevenpick is $$$$ and does not seem to be that much better either.

Feel free to PM me if you want to bounce around some ideas.
The recent trip advisor post about the kids at the Dead Sea Marriott was mine.

It was literally TEEMING with under-10 year olds. In the adult pool, in the hot tubs, in the restaurants, etc. We actually took dinner next door at the Moevenpick just to get away from all the kids.

Hotel management says, 'that's just the way it is. We are a family friendly resort.'

More power to 'em, but we were quite happy to leave.

As for the Dead Sea access at the Marriott, you will be fine. Just be careful and, if necessary, back in when it gets knee deep. We had a good float and mud bath there. The plastic shoes were much appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:41 am

I'm almost exactly doing the same thing next month. I booked the Petra Moon Hotel next month as it was a cheaper alternative to the Moevenpick but actually ended up redeeming a Free Night cert at the Marriott.
The Tripadvisor reviews at the Marriott Petra are unforgiving and adding on top of that is the fact they are currently under construction till Oct 1.
You can get down to Petra for the opening time by taxi apparently. (that's my plan for 7am)
We booked a junior suite at the Moevenpick Petra and were upgraded to an executive suite. I was very happy we booked thus, as during Ramadan the only place to have a meal with booze is at the Moevenpick.

We were in Petra at 7:30am and had the place practically to ourselves for the first hour or so thanks to low season, Ramadan, etc.

Enjoy your time in Jordan. It is absolutely amazing. ^
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I forgot to mention that the Rock Camp is significantly closer 15-20 mins away versus 90 mins to Wadi Rum but the booking includes access to the Petra Palace Hotel's pool. Extra if you opt for a Turkish Bath experience. Our plan is to take a quick dip at the pool as suggested by someone earlier in this thread after a full day at Petra and then head to The Rock Camp to watch the sunset, have dinner and look at the stars.
Is the total distance from Petra to Wadi Rum 90 minutes by car? I was under the impression that the two were closer together...

If we were to do an overnight camp out in the desert, I assume we have to leave our rental car elsewhere and get transported to the campsite by Jeep, camel, or something else. Anyone know how this is typically handled?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL

When you actually get into the water, there are large rocks (1' in diameter) in the water that you have to walk over, but the communal sea slippers that the Marriott provides will help provide you better traction.
Thank you! I appreciate the info. I'll be sure to be on the lookout for these sea slippers.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz

We were in Petra at 7:30am and had the place practically to ourselves for the first hour or so thanks to low season, Ramadan, etc.

Enjoy your time in Jordan. It is absolutely amazing. ^
Thanks! I'm so excited. Definitely reaffirms my planning for an early day in Petra before it gets busy and I appreciate the feedback for the Marriott Dead Sea in your other post as well. Sounds like I will need to walk over for some Moevenpick ice cream
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Is the total distance from Petra to Wadi Rum 90 minutes by car? I was under the impression that the two were closer together...

If we were to do an overnight camp out in the desert, I assume we have to leave our rental car elsewhere and get transported to the campsite by Jeep, camel, or something else. Anyone know how this is typically handled?
90 mins was the minimum quoted with a maximum time of 150 mins.
You apparently park at the visitor's centre parking lot and then get taken in by one of their methods of transportation.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by pinniped

It took us about 90 minutes today to get from Petra to the visitor's center at Wadi Rum. And our driver was quite aggressive and fast. From there you take a 4x4 or camel into the wadi.

We did a 3-hour 4x4 tour and that was plenty for us! We met some Italians who were camping in the desert for 2 nights when we visited the T.E. Lawrence Spring, and they seemed more resigned to it than happy about it...I mean, it's really hot and dry in the desert!!!! And as my wife says, if it is going to be really hot and sandy, there ought to be an ocean and a bar!

Then again, we are the sort who just paid an additional JOD 117 to upgrade from a Deluxe Room to an Executive Suite at the Kempiniski Aqaba...so take that for what it's worth.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
From what I'm reading, this area deserves 3 full days?
Just to answer my own question, or that of a future reader, 2 days is fine.

We departed Eilat for Wadi Rum Monday morning. Later in the day, our guide dropped us at the hotel. We were lucky to do Petra by Night. I recall it being about USD$17. The walk in at night held many secrets for what we would see the following morning. It's like 2 different places. The 'show' ran about 40 minutes. Be prepared to sit on your tush or to stand (and be comfortable).
Bring a small travel flashlight. It will help you walk on the path.

The following morning, we were on site about 8:30 - 9:00. You can walk in or ride (for free). You are expected to tip. We walked in, and rode out. It was kitchy, but the picture is a nice memory. There is no food on premises, unless you call drinks and packaged cookies/candy food. Bring plenty of water. We were there late March 2013 (last week). The weather was about 25C (80F).

We were back at the Jordan/Eilat border around 5:00.

Bring plenty of small US dollars, unless you have Jordan dollars.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:44 am

Scamming In Wadi Rum

Wadi Rum Desert Camps Fool Tourists

Most of the “camps” in Wadi Rum listed on the Internet (TripAdvisor, Routard, etc.) don’t actually exist. Their “owners” together with the help of their girlfriends, who write and speak good English, create a fake website and post a lot of self-promoting reviews in order to attract naive tourists. As a result, travellers find themselves in trouble and get scammed.

That is why, before going to Wadi Rum, insist the desert camps on sending you a scanned copy of their license, as 99.9% of them don’t have one.

Have this in mind before booking any tour, and don’t let Bedouins fool you with fake reviews and nemorous self-compliments.

For more info, visit www.stop-scamming-in-wadi-rum.com
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles

we will be in Jordan in the first week of May. upon arrival from the Eilat crossing most likely in the late morning or early afternoon after having lunch in Aqaba, we are thinking of going directly to Wadi Rum with our luggage. we are planning to take a taxi from Aqaba to WR - a few questions regarding our plan:

1. Is there a safe place to store our luggage while we’re off on our guided tour. we plan to book a private tent inside WR.

2. We leave WR the next day to go to Petra. what’s the best way (for cost and time efficiency) to get to Petra and cost estimate for any of these options? It will be Tuesday, May 15 that day and first day of Ramadan, so we’re wondering if that will impact our travel plan to Petra.

3. 2 nights in Petra, Tuesday and Wednesday night and staying at Petra Guest House Hotel next to the Visitors Center so we dont really need any transportation for 2 days. We will be going to Amman after Petra- again, what’s the best way to get to Amman taking into consideration time and cost ? We are open to renting a car from Petra if it will not take too much time to pick up the rental car. How much would it cost approximately if took a taxi from Petra to our hotel in Amman, we’re staying at the Marriott.

Thank you and please suggest any modifications to our plan if there’s a better way to arange our itinerary. We are flexible because all our hotel bookings are cancellable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.