Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Border Crossing from Israel to Jordan + Travelling within Jordan??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

We will be spending the last leg of our Israel trip in Jerusalem and then crossing into Jordan to continue on to Madaba and the Dead Sea region.

Using Google Maps it seems as though the Allenby King Hussein Bridge would be the closest and most convenient border crossing from Jerusalem.

We will not be renting a car as I don't feel comfortable driving myself in the area, not being able to read/understad the road signs. Are there private car hires or taxis that will take us from Jerusalem to the Allenby King Hussein Crossing and then on to our hotel in Madaba on the Jordan side?

What would be the best way to do this, and how much should we be expected to pay? I'd like to make all arrangements in advance if possible, to avoid swpending more than we have to and making it as comfortable, easy and convenient a trip as possible.

From Madaba, we will continue on to Petra. Again, I am unsure of the logistics of traveling along the King's Highway in Jordan, and wonder if there's a recommended car or taxi service that anyone could suggest?

Will it be difficult to cross the border from Israel into Jordan and back again?

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
there is a minibus type bus service that operates from Damascus gate in Jerusalem to Allenby/King Hussein Bridge crossing. I recall paying something like £3. Maybe a few more pounds now.

On the Jordanian side you will find many taxis to Amman. Some will probably also be there to take you to Petra, but I am not sure about the details. One thing is for sure you will not be stuck at the border. To Amman the taxi fare was about £20.

Crossing Israel to Jordan is fairly quick. Crossing Jordan to Israel can take some time depending on your ethnicity/religion and previous passport stamps.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

I'm Jewish btw, and these are the only two destinations we're visiting in the Middle East, so I doubt we'll have much trouble!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks!

I'm Jewish btw, and these are the only two destinations we're visiting in the Middle East, so I doubt we'll have much trouble!

Didn't your boobie believe in עין הרעה (the evil eye)?

Best wishes, and have a great trip!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:38 pm

I said this on the other thread--but it is worth repeating--you MUST obtain a Visa to Jordan BEFORE leaving your home country. (necessary at the Allenby crossing, the other crossings issue Visas on the spot. )
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I said this on the other thread--but it is worth repeating--you MUST obtain a Visa to Jordan BEFORE leaving your home country. (necessary at the Allenby crossing, the other crossings issue Visas on the spot. )
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 45128
Didn't your boobie believe in עין הרעה (the evil eye)?

Best wishes, and have a great trip!
Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Once you have a visa, it is a pretty ride. The ride from Jerusalem on Route 1 down to the Dead Sea should take about 30 to 45 minutes. Have your camera ready for crossing Sea Level, and on the left you will see a large marker when you reach 300 meters below sea level.

After you turn left on Route 90 for the short ride north to the Allenby Bridge, if you like geology, there will be great hoodoos on your right. Not always, but it would not be unusual to see a herd of camels on the left as well. The terminal between Israel and Jordan is at the foot of the bridge, and you should easily find transportation on to Jordan.

I'd bring water.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thumper
Once you have a visa, it is a pretty ride. The ride from Jerusalem on Route 1 down to the Dead Sea should take about 30 to 45 minutes. Have your camera ready for crossing Sea Level, and on the left you will see a large marker when you reach 300 meters below sea level.

After you turn left on Route 90 for the short ride north to the Allenby Bridge, if you like geology, there will be great hoodoos on your right. Not always, but it would not be unusual to see a herd of camels on the left as well. The terminal between Israel and Jordan is at the foot of the bridge, and you should easily find transportation on to Jordan.

I'd bring water.
Thanks so much, I'm so excited!!

The Evason Ma'In has offered us private car transport from the border to hotel at a cost of JOD 50.00 and have said that we could also find a public taxi at the border that would charge approx. JOD 35.00

Are these prices considered fairly reasonable? I would be willing to spend the extra 15.00 to take the private transfer in the hotel car (with complimentary beverages, etc) than public taxi.

What do you think?

I've been spending so much time researching this part of the world that I feel I've already been to the Middle East!!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks so much, I'm so excited!!

The Evason Ma'In has offered us private car transport from the border to hotel at a cost of JOD 50.00 and have said that we could also find a public taxi at the border that would charge approx. JOD 35.00

Are these prices considered fairly reasonable? I would be willing to spend the extra 15.00 to take the private transfer in the hotel car (with complimentary beverages, etc) than public taxi.

What do you think?

I've been spending so much time researching this part of the world that I feel I've already been to the Middle East!!
I would recommend the hotel vehicle and spend the extra money. It should be worth the amount to know you have a "pre-vetted" driver who has an investment in getting you where you need to go.

I forgot to mention that after you make the turn onto Route 90, within a couple of hundred meters on the right will also be some magnificent convents and churches. You'll see a sign for the Baptismal site, and if you look toward the border you will see magnificent churches on both sides of the Jordan River.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thumper
I would recommend the hotel vehicle and spend the extra money. It should be worth the amount to know you have a "pre-vetted" driver who has an investment in getting you where you need to go.

I forgot to mention that after you make the turn onto Route 90, within a couple of hundred meters on the right will also be some magnificent convents and churches. You'll see a sign for the Baptismal site, and if you look toward the border you will see magnificent churches on both sides of the Jordan River.
Thanks, my thoughts as well!

I've already spoken with the GM and confirmed with the hotel so we're all set!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: IC - Plat Ambassador, HH - G, AA - G, VS -G RJ - S, EK
As an aside. If you are staying at the Evason Ma'in I would recommend dinner at the Dead Sea Panorama restaurant (which they manage) for awesome sunset over the Dead Sea and distant views of Jerusalem etc...

Hopefully they told you already but the Evason is actually not in Madaba but a half hour drive away so please factor that in to your travel plans
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BarmyArnie
As an aside. If you are staying at the Evason Ma'in I would recommend dinner at the Dead Sea Panorama restaurant (which they manage) for awesome sunset over the Dead Sea and distant views of Jerusalem etc...

Hopefully they told you already but the Evason is actually not in Madaba but a half hour drive away so please factor that in to your travel plans
Thanks BarmyArnie!

I've been trying to decide between the Panorama restaurant, and the Olive Bedouin Zarb restaurant overlooking the hot springs falls. I understand that they also offer private dining experiences on cliff tops by candle light with personal chefs.

As we only have one single night, I'd like to make it very special. Both my girlfriend and myself are big foodies and we'd like to enjoy the best meal in the most unique and intimate atmosphere and setting.

Could you please tell me a bit more about Panorama, and how does the food itself compate with the Evason's Olive restaurant? Is the setting more spectacular and is one more or less formal/casual than the other?

Which of the two do you recommend for the absolute best meal and most interesting dining experience?

I'm also going to inquire with the reservations manager about their private dining options out of interest. I'm a bit concerned that we might not enjoy as good a meal doing this however, and it would be more about the experience. I imagine it'll be a costly one!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Has anyone used VISAHQ before??

There is apparently no Jordanian embassy in Montreal and I do not want to drive 2.5 hours to Ottawa if it can be avoided.

I have a feeling this company is a major rip-off however. A single entry tourist Visa into Jordan (valid for 90 days) would cost $165.34 with 3 days processing time!

Apparently the breakdown is as follows:

$50.00 - Embassy Fee
$79.95 - Service Fee
$10.39 - HST/Taxes

Subtotal: $140.34
Promotion code:

Shipping is an additional $25.00

Total: $165.34

--------------------------

What are my other options??

I need to receive this Visa before June 1st (at the latest!) because I will be travelling within the U.S. from that date forward.

I would rather spend an additional $80 to avoid driving 5.5 hours back and forth from Ottawa to Montreal, plus parking and waiting in lines at the Embassy. But are there more reasonable options?

I've read elsewhere that the cost of an entry Visa into Jordan is supposed to be int he vicinity of $35... that's a big jump from $165!

I would also like some reassurance that VISAHQ is a safe and legit company and will handle matters efficiently if I chose to proceed with them.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
You don't need to pay that ridiculous amount of money for a Jordanian visa. There is a Jordanian Embassy in Tel Aviv and a Representative Office in Ramallah. Both can give you the visa almost instantly (just fill out application, submit passport-size photo, and pay... check the website to confirm requirements). It's much cheaper and makes much more sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.