FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Jerusalem->Cairo transport options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1327406-jerusalem-cairo-transport-options.html)

sweeny Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Jerusalem->Cairo transport options?

I'll be in Jerusalem late next month (April 2012) and need to get to Cairo next, probably on a Monday. I know I can fly from Ben Gurion in TLV to CAI via AMM (with a long layover), and I understand there's a non-stop flight TLV->CAI but don' t know anything about it (and hear it's expensive). Are there other options worth considering? I understand there's a bus trip, have no idea if there's a train, or what either of those are like. We're looking for something relatively inexpensive and all other things being equal, with shortest total time--though if it's a lot cheaper, longer time may be acceptable, if that makes sense. I see there are lots of you with extensive experience in the region, and welcome your experience and advice. thanks!

TWA884 Mar 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by sweeny (Post 18245903)
...and I understand there's a non-stop flight TLV->CAI but don' t know anything about it (and hear it's expensive).

It's (or at least used to be) operated by Air Sinai (airline code 4D), an EgyptAir subsidiary.

There is no train service between Israel and Egypt.

runningshoes Mar 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Used to be a bus service as well - with recent events in Egypt, I don't know if it still exists. In Israel you take a bus to Eilat and then transfer at the border to an Egyptian bus that takes you to Cairo. It is a loooooooong day but a cool ride through Sinai and across the Suez Canal.

jahason Mar 27, 2012 8:53 am

Another flight option is the 40 odd miles to Amman airport and an RJ flight from there to Cairo. Jerusalem to Amman will probably take 1-2 hours (minibus to border then taxi from Jordanian side to Amman airport). Amman to Jerusalem can take half a day including time at the Israeli border.

Alternatively can take the short flight from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem on RJ and connect at AMM.

joshwex90 Mar 27, 2012 4:43 pm

What about TK?

sweeny Mar 29, 2012 12:45 pm

TK does appear to have flights from TLV to CAI, but they all go through Istanbul and are more expensive than the alternatives I've found. a travel agent says she has found a non-stop flight from TLV->CAI that goes only on Monday, but I've not been able to find anything about it, not even which airline it is, yet. thanks, everyone, for your responses and suggestions!

joshwex90 Mar 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by sweeny (Post 18297233)
TK does appear to have flights from TLV to CAI, but they all go through Istanbul and are more expensive than the alternatives I've found. a travel agent says she has found a non-stop flight from TLV->CAI that goes only on Monday, but I've not been able to find anything about it, not even which airline it is, yet. thanks, everyone, for your responses and suggestions!

*might* be LY

TWA884 Mar 29, 2012 12:57 pm

May I suggest reading this thread?

retirementdreams Jun 23, 2012 9:24 pm

We are planning to go the opposite way from Cairo to Israel... and airfares are pretty pricey. A few blogs I checked recommended NOT taking the bus from Cairo to Israel, due to safety issues. Has anyone had recent experience with this? Would be two mature women travelling, with luggage.

mattyb2233 Jul 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Iv done the trip through Amman trek before. It is quite an experience. Would not recommend it.