FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Travel to Maldives, Safe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1311408-travel-maldives-safe.html)

Flythe96flag Feb 7, 2012 8:53 am

Travel to Maldives, Safe?

I've got a flight from LGW to Malé next week, and I'm staying at the O&O Reethi Rah.

Do you think it's safe to travel? I have no clue, since there are reports of unrests :confused:

BingBongBoy Feb 7, 2012 9:14 am

Hi...

Sorry, just to clarify. In which way do you mean?

Are you referring to possible disruption?

Or is there some situation in the Maldives that is causing you concern?

Regards,

BBB

BAHumbug Feb 7, 2012 9:15 am

The FCO advice can be found here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...eania/maldives

BAH

manneca Feb 7, 2012 9:28 am

The NYTImes reported that the President had resigned when the police and army refused to follow his orders.

Raffles Feb 7, 2012 9:35 am

I thought you were an American for a minute until I saw your details :-)

The distance from MLE airport front door to the pier used by the O&O boat is, give or take 20 metres, 20 metres. You would be very unlucky to come to harm on that walk ....

If gunfire should break out, I would hide behind the counter at the Movenpick restaurant which you will pass on your 20 metre walk.

xcalx Feb 7, 2012 10:17 am

Once the FCO advise this

"We advise against all but essential travel to Malé Island."

Most insurance companies void ALL cover (As I found out during the Mexican swine flu fiasco)

Raffles Feb 7, 2012 10:20 am

Originally Posted by xcalx (Post 17968716)
Once the FCO advise this

"We advise against all but essential travel to Malé Island."

Most insurance companies void ALL cover (As I found out during the Mexican swine flu fiasco)

But they also say this

'Our advice against all but essential travel to Malé Island does not include Malé International Airport or travel from the airport to any part of the country other than Malé Island.'

BA may decide for you, since they don't like flying $200m chunks of metal into places from where they may not return safely.

BAHumbug Feb 7, 2012 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 17968734)
BA may decide for you, since they don't like flying $200m chunks of metal into places from where they may not return safely.

Dunno about that. They fly them into LHR at the moment and there have been some VERY cross people there recently...

BAH

Paralytic Feb 7, 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 17968734)

Cough.Glasgow.Cough.

:D

Cap'n Benj Feb 7, 2012 10:54 am

I retuned from there just yesterday and was completely unaware of any trouble whatsoever until I heard about it on the news this AM.

sunrisegirl Feb 7, 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by BAHumbug (Post 17968754)
Dunno about that. They fly them into LHR at the moment and there have been some VERY cross people there recently...

BAH

I know I shouldn't but :D

EuropeanPete Feb 7, 2012 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 17968790)
Cough.Glasgow.Cough.

:D

Or, say, Baghdad just before the invasion.

Anyways, I'd expect the Maldives are even more significantly safer than a lot of BA (or certainly BMI) destinations.

Swanhunter Feb 7, 2012 11:59 am

And over to the relevant Travel & Dining forum.

Swanhunter
Moderator BAEC

Elusive Feb 8, 2012 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 17969449)
And over to the relevant Travel & Dining forum.

Swanhunter
Moderator BAEC

Wouldn't this post belong in the Asia forum instead of the ME?

Elusive Feb 8, 2012 6:06 pm

In the same boat

I am travelling out next week as well and according to my travel insurance company they don't cover civil unrest as part of the cancellation policy. I am guessing from the news this will take some time to work out as well.

I was due to go to the Shangri-La and actually had choosen it as there was an option to visit the local islands near-by but not sure that I would be doing that even if I did go to the Maldives.