Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Istanbul Tourism - Ritz, Hyatts or Interconti

Old Jan 23, 12, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,

Hi FT,

I'm going in February for a short vacation to Istanbul. Between the Ritz, the Park and Grand Hyatt, or the Interconti which would you suggest? I can get about the same price in all of them with my corporate rate.

Thanks,

Bege
Old Jan 24, 12, 1:52 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
I have stayed at all four and would unequivocally choose the Park Hyatt. The other three are very good hotels and are basically interchangeable.

They Park Hyatt is far nicer and in a much better location in my opinion. Taksim is a good tourist area, but, once you have a feel for the city, Macka is a lovely neighborhood in which to be based, closer to the Bosphorous but less accessible for public transportation. There are a lot of very positive reviews of the hotel here, especially the spa rooms, which feature probably the best bathrooms that I have ever seen in a city hotel.

Among the other three, if you want to be in the Taksim area (about a half-hour walk from the Park Hyatt, or a ride in a cable car across the park to reduce that), I would choose the Grand Hyatt. The R-C is probably slightly more luxurious than the other two, through it's a sub-par Ritz overall in my opinion (there are also many reviews here) and the location is slightly less good (a few-minute walk up a hill to the other two). It does have an indoor pool, compared with outdoor at the other two properties (not sure about the Park Hyatt), so if you were going in summer the difference would be more pronounced.

The Grand Hyatt and InterCon are right across the street from each other just off of Taksim square. The GHyatt is a bit newer and nicer building; the more luxurious (though perhaps smaller) guest rooms and public areas, including a better bar, are why I would choose it among these three options. I found the service equivalent at the two places, too, though the breakfast and club lounge are better at the IC and food overall at the Grand Hyatt is not great. (The Park Hyatt service was average for me, and food and beverage selections narrow, but of course more elegant.)

But, these all amount to small differences between the other three properties.

Last edited by mecabq; Jan 24, 12 at 2:01 am
Old Jan 24, 12, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much mecabq for your very clear, detailed insight. So for sure we will do a Hyatt then. I'll take a look at location, probably prefer Park based on your recommendation.

Bege

Last edited by begemot; Feb 3, 12 at 3:46 am
Old Feb 3, 12, 3:49 am
Original Poster

I was incorrect on the PH being same price as RC and GH. I've booked the Grand Hyatt, and also noticed very good prices on the W hotel. I was wondering if mecabq or anyone had stayed at the W and which they would prefer? I have no spg status, but even with internet and breakfast it would be about the same price as GH.

Thanks again,
Bege
Old Feb 4, 12, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
I have stayed at the W. It's a great location, on a beautiful block just up from the Bosphorous near central Besiktas and within striking distance of the Kempinski and Ortakoy pier.

The location is attractive and convenient to the Bosphorous and taxis, though doesn't offer a lot of amenities right outside the hotel, with activity day and night, the way that the Taksim properties (and Park Hyatt to a lesser extent do). I love the location of the W -- for me it vies with the Park Hyatt as my favorite location in which to be -- but for a first-time visitor, maybe less so. (For perspective, it's about a 10- to 15-minute walk directly down a steep hill from the Park Hyatt.)

It's the typical pretentious attitude of W, with indifferent service. The restaurant/bar (formerly known as Spice Market, but re-branded after I was there) was more stylish than most places in Istanbul, but nothing special once you've seen it and had one (extremely pricey) drink. The rooms are also typical W, with funky layout and comfortable furniture. I didn't really care for the bathroom, although the room that I had was pretty big (though probably an SPG upgraded one).

The Hyatt is a lot more calm, mature, luxurious feel, where the W has the dark colors and "hip" (i.e., aloof) attitude with poor follow-up habits in which the brand apparently specializes. So it depends what you're looking for. You will find many reviews of the W on the Starwood forum, and find opinion quite mixed, like with all W's.
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by begemot View Post
Hi FT,

I'm going in February for a short vacation to Istanbul. Between the Ritz, the Park and Grand Hyatt, or the Interconti which would you suggest? I can get about the same price in all of them with my corporate rate.

Thanks,

Bege
have you been to istanbul before? will you be returning? if you want to go to istambul, why would you stay in a large western lux hotel far away from istanbul?
Old Feb 5, 12, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
The Hyatt is a lot more calm, mature, luxurious feel, where the W has the dark colors and "hip" (i.e., aloof) attitude with poor follow-up habits in which the brand apparently specializes. So it depends what you're looking for. You will find many reviews of the W on the Starwood forum, and find opinion quite mixed, like with all W's.
Thanks again, sounds like Hyatt is for me. I also think Ws are a little too hip.

Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
have you been to istanbul before? will you be returning? if you want to go to istambul, why would you stay in a large western lux hotel far away from istanbul?
i've been to Istabul only on a day trip. This time we'll go for a 3 day weekend. While I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of sites, I don't see the trip as an immersion into Turkey, more of a quick city break. On something like that, I prefer coming back at night to a "guaranteed" nice comfy everything working ok room. Also, free Internet, breakfast, suite upgrade,mand more nights and points.

Bege

Search this Thread