How is BAH now?

Old Jan 5, 12, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
How is BAH now?

I stopped going to BAH after the aborted revolution last year.

But now I am wondering whether or not I should go back. There were some high end restaurants and low end bars/dancing establishments I quite liked there. And I always enjoyed staying at the Diplomat.

Has much changed?
Old Jan 5, 12, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was there in December.

Yes and no, is the answer. Social life has returned and people get on with their lives. But that somewhat intangible feeling lingers. It's not a pleasant atmosphere - there is an understandable resentment between the haves and have-nots (in terms of power). You may come across that with younger taxi drivers for example. My perception, which could be wide off the mark, is that trouble could be sparked off again if (e.g.) the police do something stupid. The Arab Spring still has some way to go in my opinion, and not just in BAH. I noticed that expats are returning to BAH, but often single status (leaving their spouses and offspring back home).
Old Jan 5, 12, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I'm fine thanks for asking ! But I don't recall an Arab Spring in me; bit of wind but that was the Brussels Sprouts I think.

BAH
Old Jan 5, 12, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I was there in December.

Yes and no, is the answer. Social life has returned and people get on with their lives. But that somewhat intangible feeling lingers. It's not a pleasant atmosphere - there is an understandable resentment between the haves and have-nots (in terms of power). You may come across that with younger taxi drivers for example. My perception, which could be wide off the mark, is that trouble could be sparked off again if (e.g.) the police do something stupid. The Arab Spring still has some way to go in my opinion, and not just in BAH. I noticed that expats are returning to BAH, but often single status (leaving their spouses and offspring back home).
That's a pretty fair synopsis, although I've not been for a couple of months. Even at the "height" of the unrest, I never felt unsafe and found the Bahrainis very friendly and welcoming. Rates at the Dip were pretty reasonable at that time, understandably.

Speaking a more "mature" individual, I'd be quite happy to see the Brit ex-pat brats absent from a certain Irish bar

And I actually like the ... err ... how shall I put in sensitively ... slight 3rd world seediness that is lost to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I'm thinking Wranglers where the US Navy go or Digglers live rock bar, which is like something out of Star Wars Or the Tiger Bar which is open all night.

Of course, Pearl Square is now a standard intersection with traffic lights.

It's worth following the "UK in Bahrain" on Facebook. They seem to get wind of any expected disturbances and many ex-pats and locals post there.

hth
Old Jan 5, 12, 5:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Let's move this over to The Middle East forum

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jan 8, 12, 1:42 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Have a read of this thread to get up to date views from people on the ground
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731706

Search this Thread