Jerusalem Dinner???

Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Jerusalem Dinner???

I tried searching this forum but couldn't find anything wihtin the past two years or so.

We'll be in Jerusalem one night; staying near Tower of David and Jaffa Gate. Recommendations for dinner please. Would prefer some sort of "where local residents might eat" and not terribly expensive (I know that's a fuzzy set) and within walking distance of our hotel. I know that's a lot of "wants" but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Any more info you can provide? Meat or dairy? Would you prefer staying in the Old City? There are a bunch of places in the Jewish Quarter, including a solid schwarma/falafel place (BBQ).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:23 am
Original Poster

No dietary limits, just really like to eat at the local "Mom & Pop" diner when we travel. We're on a cruise that is overnighting in Ashod and the cruise ship has arranged for us to spend the night at either the Mamillia Hotel or the David Citadel which (I think) are near the Jaffa Gate. We will have spent all day "touring" Jerusalem and walkiing into the Old City (seems close on the map) for dinner would be really neat but not necessarily required. Something within a 30 minute walk would be appreciated though.

Does that help??

Greg
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Therein lies the contradiction! The Mamilla Hotel and the David Citadel Hotel are not Mom and Pop Israeli hotels - they cater to American tourists. So the restaurants nearby cater to that clientele as well. Mamilla has a bunch of places, but they're more the style of cafes, than Israeli-style eateries. Your best bet in Mamilla is Cafe Cafe, which is an Israeli restarant, frequented by Israelis.

I asked about meat or dairy because many places in Jerusalem are Kosher, and therefore won't have meat and dairy in the same place.

Mamilla is right next to Jaffa Gate, and a walk to the Jewish Quarter is well within 30 minute. The Citadel is right next to Mamilla.

If you really just want a mom and pop shop, try walking on King David Street, and then Shlomzion Hamalka Street (they intersect) and look for places that interest you.

Shlomzion has a bunch of decent places.

Best direction from the Citadel: cross the street, then turn right and cross the street. That hilly street is Shlomozion. Walk up, and upon getting to the bus stop, bear left slightly onto the pedestrian street, called Ben Sira. There should be some variety there.
If staying at Mamilla, upon exiting Mamilla on the side near the Citadel, NOT the entrance by the Old City, turn right and cross the street, and head up the street to your left (that is Shlomozion). For variety, try staying on Shlomzion and seeing what places interest you. (Walk should not be more than 5-10 minutes)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go to the Armenian Tavern!!!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Jerusalem.html
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
One good possibility is O'Connell's Irish Pub at 3 Ben Shetach St which would be about 5-10 minutes from the hotels. It is a Kosher combination pub and sports bar which is very popular with the local crowd. It serves reasonably priced comfort food including great burgers.

The music ranges from "solid" at the beginning of the evening for the older set and changes by the hour as the crowd changes and it fills up

For another local posiibility you could walk to Agrippas St in the Machne Yehuda market (about 30 minutes) or take a taxi. There you can get the local speciality, "Mixed Jerusalem Grill" at any of the restaurants . Sima is the best known but it is the priciest and caters also to a lot of tourists. If you want local try any of the "hole in the wall" joints on the other side of the street which are really quite large inside and filled with locals
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The New York Times just published a list of Jerusalem Restaurants. Click on the restaurant names to read the reviews.

There are plenty of good, affordable, non kosher places in East Jerusalem serving Middle Eastern food. Blue Dolphin and Abu Shukri have been long time favorites of mine.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:48 pm

My favorite "local place" is on the corner of King George St. and Hillel. Just small falafel cafe, average Coke sign, nothing fancy - but it would be best falafel in Jerusalem! I love it so much I remembered the place immediately when I saw it despite I haven't been in Jerusalem for a few years.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michele_Roberts
My favorite "local place" is on the corner of King George St. and Hillel. Just small falafel cafe, average Coke sign, nothing fancy - but it would be best falafel in Jerusalem! I love it so much I remembered the place immediately when I saw it despite I haven't been in Jerusalem for a few years.
My favorite falafel place is in the middle of Mea Shearim. Second best falafel place is Moshiko on Ben Yehuda.
Best schwarma is Maoz on King George, near Ben Yehuda.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
My favorite falafel place is in the middle of Mea Shearim. Second best falafel place is Moshiko on Ben Yehuda.
Best schwarma is Maoz on King George, near Ben Yehuda.
Where in Mea Shearim? I'm going to Jerusalem less than in a week, would love to check it out.

Moshiko is good, but I like the place I mentioned before MUCH better!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Where in Mea Shearim? I'm going to Jerusalem less than in a week, would love to check it out.

Mea Shearim is the Ultra Ultra Orthodox section of Jerusalem.

If you are in the center of the city cross Jaffa Road from King George and it becomes Strauss St. Keep walking for about 10-15 minutes until you get to the corner of Strauss, Malchei Israel (to the left) and Rabbi Feldman (to the right). This is also known as Mea Shearim St. Turn right and you are there.

Just remember that if you are with a female companion, modest dress is required.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's quite hard to explain. To be honest, last time I went, I just walked straight and made some random turns to get there. If walking past Kikar Shabbat, the intersection where Mea Shearim St becomes Malchei Yisroel, and where Strauss becomes Yechezkel - turn onto Mea Shearim and walk one block, then turn left. Go straight for about 7-10 minutes, and turn right. You can do what I did - ask people where there's a falafel place!

The place is right next to a place where they make fresh laffas right there (and that's the laffa you'll get for your falafel!) and it's right next to a Judaica store on the corner. I know this wasn't much of a help, but I succeed in Mea Shearim a lot more by feeling my way through. I do hope you can manage to find it with those instructions, as there aren't too many falafel places in that area (shockingly,) and especially not right next to a laffa bakery.

To find Mea Shearim, use badatz's directions, and listen to what he wrote about: DRESS MODESTLY, AND NO BLASTING MUSIC!!

Originally Posted by badatz
Mea Shearim is the Ultra Ultra Orthodox section of Jerusalem.

If you are in the center of the city cross Jaffa Road from King George and it becomes Strauss St. Keep walking for about 10-15 minutes until you get to the corner of Strauss, Malchei Israel (to the left) and Rabbi Feldman (to the right). This is also known as Mea Shearim St. Turn right and you are there.

Just remember that if you are with a female companion, modest dress is required.

Last edited by joshwex90; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:15 am
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Watch out for the gender segregated streets in Mea Shearim.
Mea She'arim to ban women from certain Jerusalem streets during Sukkot

Large billboards posted throughout capital's ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods this week forbade women during the celebration, despite court order.
High Court: Take down gender-separation barrier in J'lem

As has occurred in recent years, thoroughfares in the Mea Shearim neighbourhood have been separated between male and female pedestrians during this year’s Succot festival to prevent intermingling, particularly during the evening when traditional Simchat Bet Hashoeva parties are staged. Thousands of people descend on the area every year to watch and participate in the celebrations conducted by different yeshivot and hassidic groups, and communal leaders have sought to separate men and women during this period.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Watch out for the gender segregated streets in Mea Shearim.

Not to get into the religious or political discussion here (feel free to create a thread in OMNI/PR!) but that only happens during the holidays. It's down after succot.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
It's quite hard to explain. To be honest, last time I went, I just walked straight and made some random turns to get there. If walking past Kikar Shabbat, the intersection where Mea Shearim St becomes Malchei Yisroel, and where Strauss becomes Yechezkel - turn onto Mea Shearim and walk one block, then turn left. Go straight for about 7-10 minutes, and turn right. You can do what I did - ask people where there's a falafel place!

The place is right next to a place where they make fresh laffas right there (and that's the laffa you'll get for your falafel!) and it's right next to a Judaica store on the corner. I know this wasn't much of a help, but I succeed in Mea Shearim a lot more by feeling my through. I do hope you can manage to find it with those instructions, as there aren't too many falafel places in that area (shockingly,) and especially not right next to a laffa bakery.

To find Mea Shearim, use badatz's directions, and listen to what he wrote about: DRESS MODESTLY, AND NO BLASTING MUSIC!!
Hey, I know where and what Mea Shearim is, been there and know how to behave myself )) Just wanted to know the exact HG falafel location! Thanks for directions, I'll check it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.