Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: Fairmont Hotel or Shangri-la

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold

Heading to Dubai at the end of December for a few days of R & R. I have a choice between the Shangri la hotel or the Fairmont Dubai. Does anyone who has stayed in both have any recommendations? A nice pool, good breakfast, nice bar, plus easy transport links and easy access to shopping are on my priority list. Any recommendations?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
I have not stayed in either, but they are both in the same neighborhood and will have equal access to transportation and shopping.

Both are near a Metro stop, and your closest mall will be the Dubai Mall - it is entirely possible that there will be hotel shuttles to the mall as well, so that would be something to ask the hotel directly.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Haven't stayed in either but my office is in the same locale so know their bars and restaurants well.

As tebfunk says, both have a metro stop within a few hundred metres (Trade Centre station is approx 100m from the Fairmont and Financial Centre about 300m from the Shangri-La). Shopping wise, the metro gives you direct access to BurJuman & Mall of Emirates, access via an easy walk to Ibn Battuta and Marina Mall. Dubai Mall is a shuttle bus ride from Burj Khalifa Station but both hotels will probably offer their own shuttle anyway.

Both hotels have good restaurants but differ in the range of bars / evening venues. The Fairmont has several bars + Cavalli and the 400 / Cirque du Soir clubs and is very much on the evening circuit, whereas Balcony (the main bar at the Shangri-La) is much more quiet and majors on cigars.

Both are good hotels so you can't really go wrong. If I had to sum them up (admittedly in a hugely subjective manner) I would say the Fairmont has more atmosphere / vibe but the Shangri-la is more refined - depends which of these is to your personal taste.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: EK Skywards
Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB
Haven't stayed in either

Both are good hotels so you can't really go wrong. If I had to sum them up (admittedly in a hugely subjective manner) I would say the Fairmont has more atmosphere / vibe but the Shangri-la is more refined - depends which of these is to your personal taste.
I'd second that, good summation.
The Fairmont does have more of a business like atmosphere too and a great varied dining choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.