Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in TLV

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Transit in TLV

How is TLV for transit?

I'll be ending a xONEx in TLV, so connecting there, either from MAD or LHR, and then departing back to MAD or LHR.

Do intl-inl transfers need to clear immigration and emigration (as in PVG) or is it more like HKG?

Also, one option is to have a two-hour layover (arrive at 5 AM, depart at 8 AM) but outbound would be TLV-LHR-MAD, with LHR-MAD in Y. Another option is an 11-hour layover, departing at 4:30 TLV-MAD in J. Not sure which is worse: a flight in Y or 11 hours at an airport
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by anabolism
How is TLV for transit?
probably one of the worst....
becaus of security.

Unless you have an Israeli passport or have been here many times I would not risk a 2 hour connection.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I don't get it...is OP connecting in TLV, or flying to TLV?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How is TLV for transit?

I'll be ending a xONEx in TLV, so connecting there, either from MAD or LHR, and then departing back to MAD or LHR.

Do intl-inl transfers need to clear immigration and emigration (as in PVG) or is it more like HKG?

Also, one option is to have a two-hour layover (arrive at 5 AM, depart at 8 AM) but outbound would be TLV-LHR-MAD, with LHR-MAD in Y. Another option is an 11-hour layover, departing at 4:30 TLV-MAD in J. Not sure which is worse: a flight in Y or 11 hours at an airport
11 hours would be more than ample to visit Jerusalem (or telaviv but not really both), But Jerusalem is Jerusalem
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I don't get it...is OP connecting in TLV, or flying to TLV?
Sorry for not being clear. We have a round-the-world trip that, for pricing, starts and ends in TLV. We're actually visiting Israel for a few days at the start, but when we end the trip, we'll be flying from Europe to TLV and back to Europe the same day. In on IB, out on LY.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for not being clear. We have a round-the-world trip that, for pricing, starts and ends in TLV. We're actually visiting Israel for a few days at the start, but when we end the trip, we'll be flying from Europe to TLV and back to Europe the same day. In on IB, out on LY.
OK, now I understand. You will need to clear immigration, and then head right back through security. TLV isn't really set up for transfers, except perhaps with LY flight to/from Far East.

I would not risk a 2 hour connection. Go for the 11 hour one, and spend some time in Tel Aviv.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:13 am

OK, now I understand. You will need to clear immigration, and then head right back through security. TLV isn't really set up for transfers, except perhaps with LY flight to/from Far East.

I would not risk a 2 hour connection. Go for the 11 hour one, and spend some time in Tel Aviv.
Are you sure they have to clear immigration?
There is a sign for connection flights before you go down to immigration. I think I read posts that say that you can go down there and only go thru security.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Houminer
Are you sure they have to clear immigration?
There is a sign for connection flights before you go down to immigration. I think I read posts that say that you can go down there and only go thru security.
I'm pretty sure. I've heard that only works for LY flights that are booked as a single itin. And I've also heard (though perhaps someone here can confirm) that those require a form of passport control as it is
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:12 am

I'm pretty sure. I've heard that only works for LY flights that are booked as a single itin. And I've also heard (though perhaps someone here can confirm) that those require a form of passport control as it is
I hope I never have to find out...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
The following is a quote from the website of TLV regarding transit passengers:

"" 2. Passengers in transit to a destination abroad
Passengers arriving with a foreign airline, will collect their baggage (if necessary) in the Transit Hall and will continue the transit passenger process, which is of the same as for inbound passengers arriving on Israeli airlines, and includes:

Security check in the Transit Passengers Hall

Obtaining a boarding pass for the next leg of their journey, in the Transit Hall

Transition to the Rotunda, on Level 1. Link to to the Rotunda via the Connector.

Continue to the appropriate Concourse and exit gate.""

If needed further details can be found there.

The entrance to the Transit area is on the right before you head downwards to passport contol
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That basically sounds like the same thing all pax need to do

Originally Posted by badatz
The following is a quote from the website of TLV regarding transit passengers:

"" 2. Passengers in transit to a destination abroad
Passengers arriving with a foreign airline, will collect their baggage (if necessary) in the Transit Hall and will continue the transit passenger process, which is of the same as for inbound passengers arriving on Israeli airlines, and includes:

Security check in the Transit Passengers Hall

Obtaining a boarding pass for the next leg of their journey, in the Transit Hall

Transition to the Rotunda, on Level 1. Link to to the Rotunda via the Connector.

Continue to the appropriate Concourse and exit gate.""

If needed further details can be found there.

The entrance to the Transit area is on the right before you head downwards to passport contol
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
That basically sounds like the same thing all pax need to do
The procedure seems the same but it is done in a seperate area, as the passenger does not go down to ramp to border control but is security checked in the transit lounge,checked in and given a boarding pass and then "transitioned" to the rotunda
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Are there good RTW fares that start in TLV and include LY? There was a great QF/LY J RTW Fare which I took advantage of way back but haven't seen another in a while
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

We wanted to avoid that for three reasons:
  1. We're on a fairly short set of overnights to get in to TLV, so we'll be exhausted;
  2. We only have 2-4 days in each stop of the RTW, so if we spend the day in TLV, we'll only have one full day in Madrid;
  3. We'll have visited Tel Aviv at the start of the RTW (in April).
IB just opened up award space on the early flight to MAD, so we now have about 2.5 hours for TLV.

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Are there good RTW fares that start in TLV and include LY? There was a great QF/LY J RTW Fare which I took advantage of way back but haven't seen another in a while
The LY flights were positioning after the RTW ended (not part of the RTW), and were on awards. We switched them to IB, but that means we paid an extra $450 or so for the privilege of moving award flights from OW to LY and back (as space opened up on better flights).

I recall discussion of the LY RTW, but we never used it partly because flying LY doesn't earn AA elite-status bonus miles nor elite-qualifying miles or points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.