Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

5AM Flightout of TLV: Is there an Aiport Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

My parents have a 5AM departure out of TLV on LH in F ti FRA, so I figure they probably need to be at the airport around 3AM...is there an airport hotel versus a City Center hotel, so they can just walk over? I have stayed at the old Sheraton City Center, so I am aware of that distance...are there better/closer options?
Old May 26, 2011, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
There are no hotels within walking distance to the Tel Aviv airport terminals. The closest hotel is the Avia, which is about 1 1/2 miles away. It's gotten very mixed reviews.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
There's a hotel in the Azrieli tower (a crowne plaza), from there(the station is literally downstairs), the train runs 24 hours a day (though only hourly late night) right to the airport.
Old May 27, 2011, 3:34 pm

Keep away from Avia - it's a dump and it takes longer to get there than to Tel Aviv at night.

The Crowne Plaza is not a good option for the train as the adjacent train station is not open at night and you need a taxi to Merkaz (central) station.

At 3 AM, a Taxi from any Tel Aviv hotel should take about 20-30 minutes at most to TLV. The best located hotels for Ayalon freeway are the Crown Plaza and the Leonardo city center (previously Sheraton). Vital hotel next to Ichilov hospital is also not far from there.
Old May 29, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
I think the nearest hotel to the airport is "Sadot" at Asaf HaRofeh hospital.
But I would stay at tel aviv. At night a taxi would be quick.
Old May 29, 2011, 1:34 pm
Suspended

my 2 cents is everything depends where they will be the night before, if they are close enough (within an hours drive) I wouldnt change locations and the hassles of packing up and then moving. @ 3am the roads are all open and even from Jerusalem should take less than an hour probably 45 mins tops for a reg cab and even Nesher (shutle van) would be OK at that hour
Old May 29, 2011, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Houminer
I think the nearest hotel to the airport is "Sadot" at Asaf HaRofeh hospital.
Good info. Thank you.

Here is the hotel's website: Sadot Hotel, Ben Gurion Airport | Official Website

The hotel is located on the 3rd floor of a shopping center and is adjacent to the Tsirifin Junction. It has a free 24/7 airport shuttle.
Old May 31, 2011, 6:54 am

Avia is closer to TLV than Sadot in terms of driving time ... still I would stay away. As stated before, both are not that much closer to the airport than Tel Aviv.

Sadot is indeed located in a shopping center that services the hospital and the big army base next door. It has a Kosher Aroma espresso bar (great sandwiches and salads), a 24/7 grocery store (AMPM) and a few fast food joints (including McDonalds).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by craz
my 2 cents is everything depends where they will be the night before, if they are close enough (within an hours drive) I wouldnt change locations and the hassles of packing up and then moving. @ 3am the roads are all open and even from Jerusalem should take less than an hour probably 45 mins tops for a reg cab and even Nesher (shutle van) would be OK at that hour
I have a 9:40 flight out of TLV on a Sunday. As I am planning on being in Jerusalem Friday night, it sounds like it would make sense to stay there Saturday as well and drive to the airport (return the rental car) Sunday morning. Would leaving at 6 AM allow sufficient time?

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
i don't think leaving at 6 is a wise idea. Sunday morning rush hour + return of rental car (with filling gas, etc.) + getting luggage to terminal, waiting in checkin line, etc... eeh

I'd leave a bit earlier than 6.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Can the OP's parents stay in an airport lounge? I understand most if not all lounges open 24/7. I am sure one can buy a day pass, if status does not get them in for free.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
i don't think leaving at 6 is a wise idea. Sunday morning rush hour + return of rental car (with filling gas, etc.) + getting luggage to terminal, waiting in checkin line, etc... eeh

I'd leave a bit earlier than 6.
If I had a 9:40am flight Id be leaving Jerusalem not before 8am. Id gas up the night before, never in 20+ yrs of returning a car at BG did I ever need to put any more gas into it after I filled up the night before in JRS (thats assuming all a person will do is fill it and then go to their hotel and not drive around). Or you can gas up at Shi Hagai at the Pas (this is after having driven down the mt which is 1/2 way to BG

I understand besides Avis that most cars will now be returned to T3 so its a 10 min walk to the checkin counters at best, where theres always a free baggage cart.

for someone that doesnt know the way and layout of TLV add maybe an extra 1/2 hr at most so leave @ 7:30am but before 6am sure if I had an 8:40am flight

Need to add: if you went thru a lengthy process when you arrived and didnt simply have your PP stamped and sent on your way or if you have stamps from other Mid-East countrys or Iran in your PP dont follow what I posted above and allow for a 2-3 hr process for Security, that includes if you visited Jordan after you entered Israel

Last edited by craz; Aug 15, 2012 at 8:17 am
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
If I had a 9:40am flight Id be leaving Jerusalem not before 8am.
You are very brave.
I'm not sure it's fare to give this kind of advise to other people....
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: airberlin gold, club carlson gold, hhonors gold
If I had a 9:40am flight Id be leaving Jerusalem not before 8am.
no one who hasnt lived their entire life in israel should do that.

and id suggest as others have, tell your parents to just at whatever hotel they like in tlv/jerusalem and take a cab to the airport - easiest solution.

try "new york taxis" at +97235237722 theyre decent
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by turbjuo
no one who hasnt lived their entire life in israel should do that.
Totally agree. I am writing my advice under the assumption that the OP is not traveling on an israeli passport. When I was working in Israel and traveling out of country two to three times a month, I would cut it close, too, but I knew what I was doing AND I am a citizen of Israel.

And as far as gassing up the car, the last time we were there, the jerks at Budget DID make us go back to the gas station even though we had only been to the one right outside the airport gate!! My husband didn't pump extra after the initial "fill click" and the guy at the station was being pissy that day. The moral to that story is that you never know how it's going to turn out. Better to get there early -- especially as a tourist -- and enjoy a calm beer or coffee than to be tight and get stressed out and maybe not make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.