Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Does Israel charge duties on excess liquor brought in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Friends,

I am heading to Israel next week and plan to pick up a couple 1L bottles to hand out to my colleagues there.

The official exemption is 1 Liter, but I suspect if I bring in 2 1L bottles, they won't care.

Anyone have experience with this? Also, if they really enforce the duty on excess, what would the duty be on an extra bottle of Scotch?

Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I arrive every year with 2 bottles of (Islay) Scotch.
I have never been stopped by the meches guys leaving the luggage pick up so I am not sure. But did want to share I have never been stopped.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
While I would never advocate this.... Customs will stop you only if they have a reason - i.e. you are carrying 4 suitcases, you rearranged your bags next to the conveyor to conceal 12 camcorders, or you are carrying several big cartons marked "duty free".

Officially, if you bring in more than the allowance (as I recall) you have to pay customs on everything plus a fine. However, there is some flexibility - even if your bags are searched (unlikely) and they see a whole TWO bottles they will understand you are not a South American liqour baron and chances are they will just wave you through...

D.

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Friends,

I am heading to Israel next week and plan to pick up a couple 1L bottles to hand out to my colleagues there.

The official exemption is 1 Liter, but I suspect if I bring in 2 1L bottles, they won't care.

Anyone have experience with this? Also, if they really enforce the duty on excess, what would the duty be on an extra bottle of Scotch?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.