Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to go over the weekend from RUH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold

Hi,

I am currently in RUH for Business and am looking for an affordable and nice place to go over the coming weekend... After what I've heard about RUH (and experienced in my first 5 hours here), I am not keen on spending any more time than necessary and would rather go somewhere else.

Dubai is the obvious choice, but I've been there twice this year already (actually just a week ago), so I wonder whether I should go somewhere else?

Any suggestions?

I would appreciate some nightlife (so again, Dubai is the first thing that comes to mind), but if there was something different to experience in a daytrip or so, that might be an option...

Thanks
Old May 8, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
If it's just one weekend, Riyadh isn't that bad. You can go to the Kingdom Tower and the Museum, and eat at the Najd Village for a good Arabic experience. That said, if you really want to leave, then what are your parameters? How far away are you willing to fly? You mention Dubai, which is 540+ miles by air; you could go to Jordan, about 800 miles away, and check out Petra and some Biblical sights, if that interests you. In terms of nightlife...I don't know much about Jordanian nightlife, but yeah, you won't find much in KSA. Dubai would be your best bet if that's the biggest factor in your decision; you could head over there, do a desert safari one day, and then experience the nightlife.
Old May 9, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Go where the Saudis go for nightlife -- Bahrain. You can fly or take a taxi (5 hours or so, though heavy traffic on Wednesday evening out of KSA and Friday evening out of Bahrain.

I really enjoy Bahrain -- the night-life has a seedy, third-world element to it (try the Bahrain International Hotel; this one of the rare places I have been where you can get sheesha and alcohol at the same place), plus some interesting Arabic attractions (especially the old souq), plus a bit of the glitz of Dubai. So it's a nice combination.
Old May 9, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: DL,EK
Muscat. If you have a full day you can do the northern loop from Muscat to Rustaq and spend the other day in Muscat/Ruwi/Mutrah.

Oman is easily one of the nicest places on the peninsula.
Old May 10, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: Etihad Guest, AAdvantage, Virgin Atlantic
Bahrain is a nice place, with plenty of nightlife if thats what your looking for.

Beirut has more again, and has some beautiful places to visit.

Dubai is obviously the place of "nightlife" , however I would say if you have been here, go explore somewhere else.

If you need the names of places in BAH to go, just let me know.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: * Alliance Gold
go to Mada'in Saleh

If its just the weekend, you can go outside of Saudi as others have pointed out, however I don't recommend that. Saudi has some pretty interesting historical sights which don't get much coverage. I'd highly recommend Mada'in Saleh which was built by the Nabateins, the same civilization that built Petra. Check the following wiki page for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mada'in_Saleh
There're a few hotels in the nearby Ula town which I understand can arrange some permit for you to enter the site.
I think if this site was located in a country with lesser visa restrictions, it would have been visited by loads of tourists, so since you're already beyond this restriction check it out.
If you do go there, please post a trip report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.