Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

istanbul airport international transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:28 am
Original Poster

i am looking to fly from BEG (belgrade) to DEL (dehli) through IST (istanbul). i will most likely have to switch airlines.

does anyone know whether i must go through customs in IST to do this? will i need a turkish visa?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GfL
If you're flying two different airlines and have checked bags, it is unlikely (though possible, if you ask) that you'll be able to check your luggage all the way through to your final destination. If that's the case, then yes, you will have to go through immigration and customs so that you can pick up your bag from airline #1 and re-check it in on airline #2.

You do not say what your nationality is, so it's not possible to tell you whether you will need a Turkish visa or not. For most people who do need visas, they are available on arrival. You stand at the visa window first, pay for your visa stamp, and then get in line for the immigration counters.

If you fly one airline, then you won't have to leave the airside part of the international terminal and you can avoid all of that.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Checking bags through depends on the interline agreements of the carriers involved. Odds are that it should be OK, not that it should be a problem, but it really does depend on the carriers involved.

IST does have an isolated international transit area that is actually pretty nice. But if you have to leave it to collect bags then customs and immigration will be involved. My last transit was quite nice, all in the transit area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.