Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Security Location Moves on 9/15/09

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by whlinder
The main terminal felt so empty today without security there. If you aren't checking bags and check in online there is no point in being dropped off up on the departures level, you should be entering through the baggage level.

Airfield views from the main terminal are much improved too.
I really wish taxi's were allowed to drop passengers off downstairs...I've fought relentlessy with Red Top about this, but they never let me! Said the folks at Flyer will get pissed and think they're picking up people.

Hoping that this new feature to IAD makes the downstairs drop-off option more reasonable.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
[QUOTE=ECOTONE;12394796]I really wish taxi's were allowed to drop passengers off downstairs...I've fought relentlessy with Red Top about this, but they never let me! Said the folks at Flyer will get pissed and think they're picking up people.
[QUOTE]

"Downstairs" is the "commercial vehicle roadway". Only commercial vehicles with specific MWAA approval may use that roadway. Any other vehicles (commercial or otherwise) will be ticketed if caught using that roadway. So it's not just that the Flyer Taxi folks will get pissed, but the Red Top driver risks getting fined if he/she goes there.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
I really wish taxi's were allowed to drop passengers off downstairs...I've fought relentlessy with Red Top about this, but they never let me! Said the folks at Flyer will get pissed and think they're picking up people.

Hoping that this new feature to IAD makes the downstairs drop-off option more reasonable.
What you could do is get the guy to drive through the short term lot, drop you off and exit. Pretty sure they still have the 20 minute free parking, just make sure you tell him you'll give him a tip that covers the parking charge if they were to charge him which they shouldn't. That gets you on the bottom level.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We went through yesterday at about 10AM. The "doorman" at the Premium door waved us thru and we were the only people in that area. We were able to walk right up to the two TSAers reading the IDs while the regular "non-premium" line appeared to be forty deep. We did get some dirty looks but it was well worth it.

There were three stations open for the x-rays and it was very fast. I would say the whole thing at that time of day can take an elite or FC flyer no more than five minutes soup to nuts.

We also noticed that the TSA inspection location was right up against the new train station. We did not see any trains being tested but the station certainly looked large and impressive.

However, knowing that it is an MWAA operation implies that it will never be utilized properly and the trains will probably not run most of the time. There was a specific reference in that Washington Flyer MWAA mouthpiece saying that the mobile lounges were being retained for "international service" but no mention that they would almost certainly be continually in use for emergency bailouts of the train system.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Pretty sure they still have the 20 minute free parking ....
It was changed to 10 minutes free parking last year, still good enough for a taxi to drop someone off.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Pretty sure they still have the 20 minute free parking.
They do NOT have 20 minutes free anymore.

(Edited to add - just noticed this was already mentioned.)
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by monitor

However, knowing that it is an MWAA operation implies that it will never be utilized properly and the trains will probably not run most of the time. There was a specific reference in that Washington Flyer MWAA mouthpiece saying that the mobile lounges were being retained for "international service" but no mention that they would almost certainly be continually in use for emergency bailouts of the train system.
In any case, according to the D2 plans, the people movers will continue to serve main terminal to D gates as well as D gates to A gates.

So they are not going anywhere. And I agree that when the trains fail, as they almost assuredly will, it'll be all people movers all the time.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
In any case, according to the D2 plans, the people movers will continue to serve main terminal to D gates as well as D gates to A gates.

So they are not going anywhere. And I agree that when the trains fail, as they almost assuredly will, it'll be all people movers all the time.
And the Mobile Lounges will continue to move International arriving passengers to IAB.

However, about half of the Mobile Lounge drivers will be either retiring or given lump-sum severance payments shortly. The AeroTrain will need to be extremely reliable - MWAA won't be in a position to replace a shutdown train system with Mobile Lounges on 5 minutes notice.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Annandaler
And the Mobile Lounges will continue to move International arriving passengers to IAB.

However, about half of the Mobile Lounge drivers will be either retiring or given lump-sum severance payments shortly. The AeroTrain will need to be extremely reliable - MWAA won't be in a position to replace a shutdown train system with Mobile Lounges on 5 minutes notice.
So they'll make people walk it - that they don't have a feasible business continuity solution in case of a breakdown (which I too fully expect to happen within first 2-3 months) is no surprise.

This is an airport intentionally avoided by people because you're required to walk too much to get to where you need to be and they just can't handle it usually due to their age/condition. It is not a friendly airport as the norm, that they make people walk even further and longer distances when the train breaks, e.g. to the B terminals will NOT be a surprise at all.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...This is an airport intentionally avoided by people...
I can do this easily but I really can sympathize with those who have no alternative.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
New Security Set up is TERRIBLE

Did the new IAD security Friday afternoon and it is an UTTER DISASTER during the afternoon rush. Since the split for premium security is downstairs and downstairs gets full EVERYONE has to queue upstairs until there is space downstairs, effectively eliminating the advantage of premium security. COMPLETELY eliminating the advantage of premium security.

First TSA dances on Clear's grave and now this?!!!?!?!?

NO!

It is BAD and HAS to be fixed somehow...
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Is the security checkpoint only on one side of the train or do both sides have a security checkpoint? The diagrams on the web site seem to show that there is a security checkpoint on both sides.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
I noticed today that the diamond line in baggage claim is now closed, so that alternative is sealed off...
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by droopydog
Is the security checkpoint only on one side of the train or do both sides have a security checkpoint? The diagrams on the web site seem to show that there is a security checkpoint on both sides.
Both sides. Two security screening mezzanines - east and west - entered respectively from the east and west ends of the main terminal.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by droopydog
I noticed today that the diamond line in baggage claim is now closed, so that alternative is sealed off...
The Dulles Diamond lane has been closing at 6pm - perhaps that is what you saw. There are no plans to eliminate the Dulles Diamond checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.