Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Good news for Dulles/IAD flyers - Aerotrain to replace mobile lounges by end of 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good news for Dulles/IAD flyers - Aerotrain to replace mobile lounges by end of 2009

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Good news for Dulles/IAD flyers - Aerotrain to replace mobile lounges by end of 2009

Found this on Mileage Summary:

Transportation changes at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)

Opening later this year, the AeroTrain will replace most of the current Mobile Lounge system used to transport passengers between the Main Terminal and Concourses A, B and C. United customers will use a tunnel from the station to the current C gates. Learn more.

http://www.metwashairports.com/dulle...otrain_exhibit
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
very very nice ^ (tho they had better think of extending "the other side" from the b-gates to the d-gates as it is one long schlepp from roughly where the c-gate train arrives to the d-gates)
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US CP
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Found this on Mileage Summary:

Transportation changes at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)

Opening later this year, the AeroTrain will replace most of the current Mobile Lounge system used to transport passengers between the Main Terminal and Concourses A, B and C. United customers will use a tunnel from the station to the current C gates. Learn more.

http://www.metwashairports.com/dulle...otrain_exhibit
I saw that too, but I've been wondering why we'll need to use a tunnel. Is the "Concourse C" station not near the Concourse C gates?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I recently read somewhere that they are currently testing the trains out. They must run flawlessly and continuously for 30 days to pass some sort of certification test. If they do not go 30 days uninterrupted, they must start the 30 day period all over again.

Oh... this thread should probably be moved to the Washington DC forum as it benefits all fliers using IAD, not just United fliers.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
I hope this means the end of mobile lounges when you have to go through Customs and Immigration. I recently walked FOREVER to get from a plane to the mobile lounge and then had a wait until the mobile lounge could get to customs.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:36 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion in our Travel->Washington forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by DCGuy
I hope this means the end of mobile lounges when you have to go through Customs and Immigration. I recently walked FOREVER to get from a plane to the mobile lounge and then had a wait until the mobile lounge could get to customs.
No. The mobile lounges will still be used to transport people to C&I. Separate trains (and tracks) would have to be run to the C&I facilities to keep people arriving from outside the US, Canada, and other locations with C&I facilities separated from people originating in the US, Canada, or other C&I-equipped facility. That was way more expensive than current tenants were willing to pay.

Last edited by gvdIAD; Aug 6, 2009 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
very very nice ^ (tho they had better think of extending "the other side" from the b-gates to the d-gates as it is one long schlepp from roughly where the c-gate train arrives to the d-gates)
Agreed--though the eventual plans were for some massive loop, with room for several more midfield terminals (none of which will be built anytime soon), so I don't know if they'll put in the other side separately, short-circuit the loop, or what.

On the necessity for the tunnel, I wonder if they're hoping UA will eventually have the dough to bulldoze the C&D "temporary" terminals and put in real ones, and thus needed to leave the ability to do that?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
If only they could upgrade C/D Concourses from its current state......

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 16, 2009 at 5:19 am
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ejote
I saw that too, but I've been wondering why we'll need to use a tunnel. Is the "Concourse C" station not near the Concourse C gates?
I believe that the current C concourse i supposed to be "Temporary" The station will be built where they would put the "permanent" one which will be built sometime in the future.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
No. The mobile lounges will still be used to transport people to C&I. Separate trains (and tracks) would have to be run to the C&I facilities to keep people arriving from outside the US, Canada, and other locations with C&I facilities separated from people originating in the US, Canada, or other C&I-equipped facility. That was way more expensive than current tenants were willing to pay.
This is the reason I can't cheer about the Aerotrain. I never really minded the ride to the main terminal all that much -- at least those buggies leave every few minutes and usually aren't filled to bursting -- but there's nothing quite like getting off the plane after a long flight from Asia, racing to be near the front of the line at C&I, then having to sit in the mobile lounge for ten minutes while 200 of your fellow passengers are slowly packed in like over-tired, short-tempered sardines. Welcome home!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Won't miss the moon buggies a bit.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
When I started reading this thread I got really excited until I got to the part about the mobile lounges still taking passengers to C&I. I absolutely hate IAD for this reason!! Nothing worse than spending hours on my behind on an international flight and then having to take that stupid thing over to C&I with a handful of screaming kids.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by christianj
When I started reading this thread I got really excited until I got to the part about the mobile lounges still taking passengers to C&I. I absolutely hate IAD for this reason!! Nothing worse than spending hours on my behind on an international flight and then having to take that stupid thing over to C&I with a handful of screaming kids.
if you only have carry-on - follow the connecting passengers, get re-screened by TSA then walk thru Terminal C and take the shuttle to main terminal that way
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by GoingAway
if you only have carry-on - follow the connecting passengers, get re-screened by TSA then walk thru Terminal C and take the shuttle to main terminal that way
Is that really faster? Is there anyone who can offer some empirical evidence? I've never tried it myself so I don't know, but I'd guess it depends on the transfers vs. stay-in-Washington breakdown of the international arrivals, when your flight arrives and how many other flights arrive at the same time, and how fully staffed each of the C&I facilities is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.