Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

3 wk trip near Philly - weekend fun suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Gold, BAEC Blue, BMI, CO

Hello,

Thought I'd ask on here.

Have a 3 week business trip to NJ, a few miles east of Philadelphia.

I have two weekends to myself, and looking for inspiration.

I was in the same place for two weeks in Jan, and spent the weekend in NYC. Cruise control up the turnpike to JC, PATH to Manhattan, Marriott Courtyard Times Square South - great location! Dance studio social on Friday, MoMA, dinner & guest list to Hiro on Sat, Blue Note for brunch on Sunday, followed by a dance class, and return journey. Good trip.

I'm looking at spending one weekend in Washington DC - have never visited before, so can't suggest to travel dept. a hotel location. Will be driving down. Will be doing some museum, hopefully find like minded people to hang out with.

So one weekend, do I repeat the NYC experience, or is there somewhere else I should do? Fly or drive, but driving preferred (gas is cheap) - 3h limit.

I was looking for cheap airfares from PHL to somewhere warmer. ATL was about the only place I could find for $150 or less a.i. (roughly what I'm prepared to pay).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
If you like microbrews, Philly & the surrounding area is great for beer. Check out Victory out in Downingtown (if you have a car). In the city, there's Monk's and Noddinghead.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
sunny...MCO cheap on Southwest, Kennedy space centre, swamp tours, Cocoa beach, give Gatorland a miss
PA/NJ Longwood gardens, Eastern state penetentiary, ridley creek state park,King of Prussia Mall, Lancaster county Camden aquarium,,Batsto village, Smithville, Wildwood/cape May, Atlantic City, Wheaton village,Christiana Mall(DE) Fountains mall off the 73, The Sage diner on the 73
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:29 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue this discussion in the FT Mid-Atlantic Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're going to do DC look into the Hampton Inn at the Convention Center/China Town. It is in a great location, convenient to just about everything, including the Metro, and is usually pretty affordable. It also is a reasonably new property (~5 years, maybe) so it is still in pretty good shape physically. I stay there just about every time I'm in town.

There is enough to do in DC that you could spend both weekends there and still not run out of things to see.

ATL is also pretty easy to do for a quick weekend and there are things to do, but it is a very spread out town so that you pretty much need a car to do anything once you're there. The aquarium is phenomenal, and there are plenty of good food options to be had.

Atlantic City is worth about 20 minutes of your time, but it is there if you don't want to go farther. It won't be as good this time of year versus the summer.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If driving down to DC, I would probably avoid bringing the car into the District and pick out a hotel near the Metro in Virginia or Maryland where the rates are very cheap on the weekend and the parking is free.

The closest and IMO best place to investigate are those in Crystal City such as the CC Marriott where the parking lot is no charge on weekends. There are lots of others. I don't know MD, but I suspect that there are also some good spots in Bethesda. As sbm12 has posted, you can come to DC multiple times and still find new and interesting stuff to do. Check out the threads right above in the Washington, DC sub-forum.

But under any circumstances, do not miss the historical sites in Philadelphia such as Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. And of course, real Philly cheesesteaks and other South Philly junkfood is among the best in the world. A search around here will get you just about all the info you would need on that subject.

Last edited by monitor; Jan 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
As Monitor says, you must come to Philly. It's a great city with lots to offer no matter what your interest. We have a world class art museum, symphony, restaurants and much more. Do a search on this forum as I have previously posted a nice restaurant listing for my neighborhood (Rittenhouse Square).
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
As Monitor says, you must come to Philly. It's a great city with lots to offer no matter what your interest. We have a world class art museum, symphony, restaurants and much more. Do a search on this forum as I have previously posted a nice restaurant listing for my neighborhood (Rittenhouse Square).
Agree. When you're smack dab between the two most important cities in the country, people tend to forget about you....Philly is one of the best cities in the US, a definite can't miss. I live in DC, and believe me, this city is miserable compared to Philly.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq

I've been to the Museum of Art twice and enjoyed it both times. I shall hopefully make another Friday night Jazz opening this trip :-) Did the Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Congress/Senate building on my first trip.

It's looking like I'm torn between a road trip up to the Catskills to take my first skiing lessons, or a weekend in Philly!

Thanks for the DC hotel advice. I shall take a look and make proposals.

Regarding MCO. Thinking I'll stay cold. Airport parking is a pain at the best of times, let alone when trying to squeeze in a weekend get away.

I shall make a more thorough check of my plans at the weekend. Lots of good stuff, thanks
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
I might have missed it but wasn't sure when your trip was planned for.

New Hope, PA in Bucks County might be a nice day trip. It's right along the river and has a bunch of eclectic or boutiquey shops, eateries, and bars. If you sit outside (and many places have heat lamps scattered about) the people watching can be interesting.

DC is also a good option but I have to tell you driving around the District drives me absolutely insane, oof. You might want to think about staying in Alexandria, VA. Old Town is cute and DC is easily accessible via the King Street metro.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:40 am

For Philly, I loved the Mutter Museum (museum of oddities)...and definitely check out the Stephen Starr restaurants if you haven't yet. All different themes, and all delicious.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice :-D

I ended up spending my weekends in DC. Stayed in Silver Spring, MD, which was nice enough (Crown Plaza, received excellent service 2nd stay).

Still need to check out Philly area itse;f. I spent a few hours in the Cherry Hill mall before departing on my last trip...

*Still* not had a Philly cheese steak.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SwannieUK
...*Still* not had a Philly cheese steak.
Your bad.

IIRC, there are more than a couple of places in South Jersey where you could have found a representative sample.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.