Wiki Posts
Search

Parking $ DCA & IAD going up 6/1/08

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Parking $ DCA & IAD going up 6/1/08

Most parking rates are going up on June 1.

See new DCA rates at http://mwaa.com/reagan/parking_trans.../parking_rates Looks like a new Satellite lot will be opening then with slightly lower rates than Economy.

See new IAD rates at http://mwaa.com/dulles/parking_trans...king_rates_iad (scroll down for new rates). Note also that the 20-minute complimentary parking at IAD will be reduce to 10 minutes starting June 1.
Old May 9, 2008, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they are increasing rates, I hope they increase shuttle service (especially to the economy lots).

Totally - crap - especially at DCA - it's not like there's a signifcant increase in overhead - and using fuel costs is total BS - parking lots are pure profit centers.
Old May 9, 2008, 6:28 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

IAD needs some off-site competition.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
There is no reason to increase prices, they automated the lots to reduce their overhead and now want to charge us more????? This is major BS and the folks that work those machines (for all the times the technology craps out and the card can't be read) aren't great by any means so if its because of their salary - boy is that just wrong!
Old May 10, 2008, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Annandaler
Most parking rates are going up on June 1.

See new DCA rates at http://mwaa.com/reagan/parking_trans.../parking_rates Looks like a new Satellite lot will be opening then with slightly lower rates than Economy.
The new satellite lot may be the temporary lot they're opening this summer as a result of the garage expansion. It's mentioned at the bottom of this press release.
Old May 10, 2008, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
If they are increasing rates, I hope they increase shuttle service (especially to the economy lots).

Totally - crap - especially at DCA - it's not like there's a signifcant increase in overhead - and using fuel costs is total BS - parking lots are pure profit centers.
i would guess that each bus for a 16 hr day costs at least $500 to field, and probably closer to $1000. maybe chicken feed to you, but that kind of money buys me an excellent bottle of wine. the fuel is a red hering. i doubt those busses burn over 3-4 gal an hour, which is 50-75 gal. a day. only $2-300.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:09 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I don't see what rising fuel prices has to do with the daily, hourly, or valet lots as they don't require transport to the terminals (I know IAD has a bus from the daily lots but how about they cancel it and leave the rates the same - fat chance!).
Old May 10, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I don't like it, but I'll use park and fly packages with Marriott for stays over 5 days. I can usually time the day for the weekend, either before or after the flight. As for the shuttles, they are probably raising the price to cover increased fuel for all the employee shuttles as well, in addition to making more money.
Old May 10, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by VA1379
I don't like it, but I'll use park and fly packages with Marriott for stays over 5 days. I can usually time the day for the weekend, either before or after the flight. As for the shuttles, they are probably raising the price to cover increased fuel for all the employee shuttles as well, in addition to making more money.
Employee parking isn't free - there are fees associated with it, even if the airline or concession areas pick it up. I am already paying airport fees and don't feel the need to subsidize further. This is a pure money grab

BTW - what kind of fee is the stay & park deal?
Old May 10, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I usually stay at the Washington Dulles Marriott Suites for park and fly. They only offer it on the weekends (Friday and Saturday nights), but I have been able to stay after returning from a flight instead of before a flight. Rates are usually $109 or $119. It includes a week of parking, each week after that is $10. The parking is covered. They run the shuttle from 5 am to 1 am.

The Washington Dulles Airport Marriott offers a park and fly package on weekends for $124 or 134. This includes free parking for up to two weeks. Additional weeks cost $30. For weekday stays, park and fly goes for $284 or $304, which is $25 above the weekday room rate. I am not sure about the shuttle time for the airport Marriott, but it is close to one of the daily garages, so you could just get a shuttle ride there and walk to the Marriott if needed.

I will park in the airport next week for my short trip to LA even though it means 3 days of parking fees, because the weekend promo rate is much cheaper for a two night stay ($67 versus $109), includes a 2,000 bonus point offer (for stays with either a Thursday or Sunday night), and a $50 Bonus Buck coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.