Wiki Posts
Search

IAD to Air and Space Museum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
IAD to Air and Space Museum

I’m posting here because IAD is UA's home turf.

I'll have a 9+ hours of layover in IAD tomorrow due to tongiht's canceled flight and re-booking. I would like to visit the Air and Space Museum if weather permitting. My questions are:
1) What are my options of getting there from IAD?
2) What to do with my carry-on luggage -a “Personal Bag” that weights about 15 lbs plus a 22 in rollerboard?

Or may be someone can recommend somewhere else to spend the 9+ hours.
Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
I beleive there is a shuttle service that runs from IAD to the museum. I believe you can find it out out the curb with all the other public transportation. I can't remember if there is a cost or not. As for the luggage... you could try one of the hotels and leave it at the desk. As far as I know there are no lockers or left luggage at IAD.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:33 pm

Are you talking about the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center next to IAD or the NASM on the National Mall. There is a bus service that runs from IAD to Udvar-Hazy (cost is $0.50 each way). The bus stops outside the main terminal on the ground level at curbside location 2E. If you want to go to the national mall it would probably be easiest to take a taxi, but there are other options such as taking a bus to a Metro station and then taking the Metro to the National Mall. I don't think there is any place to store your luggage at either location.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a place to check coats and such at the Udvar-Hazy place as I recall, wonder if they would hold a bag?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
if you check the dc forum, you'll find info on the bus to catch (or a taxi) to get to the museum. Not sure if there is a check bag facility there but i'd think that it's part of any coat check option. enjoy.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:11 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I’m posting here because IAD is UA's home turf.
And I'm moving it because it does not belong in the United forum. Find it in the Washington D.C. forum.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I was looking at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center. 50 cents bus ride sounds good to me.

May be I'll take a chance and just leave my carry-on luggage at the RCC. Any thoughts on that?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had a big coat and bag check service last year when I was there.

MisterNice
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Gator11
There is a bus service that runs from IAD to Udvar-Hazy (cost is $0.50 each way). The bus stops outside the main terminal on the ground level at curbside location 2E.
I just took the mobile lounge over to the D terminal here at IAD, and they had a sign posted inside of it with the exact information highlighted above.

Tom in the Admiral's Club at Dulles
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Thanks for all the replies. I was looking at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center. 50 cents bus ride sounds good to me.

May be I'll take a chance and just leave my carry-on luggage at the RCC. Any thoughts on that?
I strongly recommend you keep your luggage with you. With the absurdity going on these days, they'll probably find it, not locate you and decide to blow it up out on the tarmac somewhere ... just take it with you and use the coat check over at the museum.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Just got back from a 3 ½ hour tour of the museum. Took the metro bus outside shuttle stand 2E outside door number 1 at the lower level of the main terminal. 50 cents each way. Shuttle runs once every half hour on weekdays and once an hour on weekends. Last bus back to IAD leaves NASM at 5:30.

10 – 15 minutes ride to the museum. Open bag search at the entrance. Lockers were available to right of the entrance. 25 cents per locker which you get back when you retrieve you belongings in the end. They come in two sizes. My “Personal Bag” and the 22 inch rollerbaord fit into one large locker.

Enjoyed the tour. Now I have to find what to do for the next four hours before my flight boards.

Thanks for all help.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Just to clarify if others are reading this...

It is NOT a "metro bus" that takes you to Udvar-Hazy. It is the "Dulles-to-Dulles" bus (actually runs from Dulles Town Center north of IAD to Dulles Airport and then on to the museum - and the bus is operated by a local transportation authority. It runs every 45 minutes weekdays (starting at 10:30am from IAD) - not every half hour. Other details are good. PM me if you have more questions.

Took the metro bus outside shuttle stand 2E outside door number 1 at the lower level of the main terminal. 50 cents each way. Shuttle runs once every half hour on weekdays and once an hour on weekends. Last bus back to IAD leaves NASM at 5:30.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Thanks for all the information in this thread, it was just what I was looking for. When I booked my flight to Rome next month I planned for a 6 hour layover in IAD with the plan of taking my 15 month old to the museum to ware him out. Now I can create a time line and know I have at least 2 1/2 hours to spend there. I know from flying over it on approach 100 times in the last couple of years that there is nothing else around it. But do they have a good cafeteria or should we eat at IAD before leaving?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:18 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Your question was whether or not they have a good cafeteria on site. It looks like they have a McDonald's.

This is the "concessions" link from the Udvar-Hazy Center's web site:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/concessions/food.cfm

Have a good time. I've taken three different sets of out-of-town guests to the museum and they were well impressed.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Your question was whether or not they have a good cafeteria on site. It looks like they have a McDonald's.

This is the "concessions" link from the Udvar-Hazy Center's web site:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/concessions/food.cfm

Have a good time. I've taken three different sets of out-of-town guests to the museum and they were well impressed.
Great, thanks for the info. The Air & Space Museum on the Mall has always been my favorite and I have wanted to go to the Udvar-Hazy Center since it opened. I think this is a great way to kick off a 2 week vacation, and tire out a toddle before an 8 hour plane ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.