Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1.00 fare NYC-DC on Bolt Bus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by crhptic
will let you know how it turns out.
I just got back from my first trip; as a man of my word, let me offer you a brief trip report.

The buses are brand new and quite clean. One had leather seats, the other had cloth, but both were very comfortable with good seat pitch.

The wifi appeared to be working fine for both PCs and Macs. My seat neighbor spent the entire ride texting people on a Mac.

The majority of seats, but not all, have power plugs - the extreme front and back of the bus did not have them, but most of the middle, especially on the driver's side of the bus, did.

On the passenger side of the bus, about midway back, is a row of accessible seating which offers even more leg room. Look for the seat belt on the wall. These seats are just in front of it.

Both buses left within 10 minutes of their scheduled departure. One arrived on time and the other got stuck in horrible traffic and was late (although, to make up time, they skipped the rest-area stop, which was thoughtful).

There are three TVs on the bus. On one trip, there was no movie, which was fine with me as I wanted to sleep. On the way back, there was a movie, but the driver very helpfully announced a schedule at the start of the trip as to when we would be making the rest stop, and that he would show the movie afterward. So, I could sleep early on and still see the movie. And, he let the pax vote on the movie from the 3 he was carrying.

All in all, it was a very good experience and I would put it well above the regular Greyhound or most of the Chinatown lines.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:33 am

Bolt Bus is awesome, you should check out BusJunction, it's a search engine for cheap bus tickets and includes Bolt, Megabus, Vamoose, and some others.

Beware of BusZoo, it's a Chinatown line. A lot of the Chinatown bus lines will masquerade under several names to increase their exposure. Pretty sketchy.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:29 pm

I should also note that BoltBus just opened there schedule from ~8/25 until some time in september, so there are plenty of $1 tickets up for grabs.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:13 pm

How long in advance does BoltBus open it's ticket sales? With Megabus it is always the same number of days, but on the BoltBus-website there's no such info and the customer service didn't reply to my e-mail.

I want to use it from NY and back during the first week of 2010. And I want the 1$ fare. :-) When can I/do I have to book?

TNX

Last edited by sokolov; Sep 27, 2009 at 2:28 pm
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
@sokolov
Have you found an answer for your question? I need the same information
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:19 pm

No, I haven't figured it out so far. If you do, please post it here and/or send me a private message. TNX
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:45 pm

I've used Greyhound, Peter Pan, BoltBus, Megabus, and Amtrak to travel between Boston and New York many times. My reviews:

Amtrak and its express Acela are alright, but expensive and break down more than I like. Oddly, I find the Acela uncomfortable. The streamlined design means tighter seating. Ick.

Re: Buses:

When Greyhound and Peter Pan were the only options I'd always use Peter Pan. Their buses were much nicer than Greyhound's. Then the companies started to codeshare (maybe 15 years ago?) so I could buy a Greyhound ticket and use it on Peter Pan, saving money and getting better service) less crowded etc)...

I remember when Fung Wah started service and it was alright IF you weren't worried about comfort, safety and where you were picked up and dropped off. When Boston cracked down on Fung Wah and other companies they all moved to South Station and were subject to a bit more regulation. But still, their drivers had little training, poor customer service, and the buses were poorly maintained. This led to hair raising driving and frequent breakdowns with little hope of rescue.

Eventually Greyhound and Peter lowered their fares but still the lines for Fung Wah, Lucky Star etc were out the door. Then Vamoose tried to operate between Cambridge and New York but they didn't have permits to operate in Cambridge so I'm not sure they ever operated at all. Ooops.

Then Megabus announced its service on new buses starting at $1.00 each way plus a stupid service fee (50 cents). Well, their buses are great and the drivers are alright. They had and have a few problems like drivers getting lost and buses being late. This happens to all companies but Megabus has little phone service and likes to leave passengers guessing.

A little later Bolt Bus came along (owned by Greyhound and Peter Pan). It had the same hiccups as Megabus but seems to be working great these days.

Now Greyhound is rolling out a fleet of new coaches in the Northeast and their prices are decent BUT still not as low as BoltBus and Megabus. So my ruling is:

BoltBus is best
Megabus a close second
Peter Pan is alright
Greyhound is ok IF I'm making connections

I still won't touch the Chinatown buses. I've traveled more than 100,000 miles by bus and my vast experience makes me wary of their poor customer service. If you have a problem with Fung Wah etc you're out of luck.

BTW: Yes, I have traveled roundtrip between NYC and Boston for $2.50. Not always, but a few times.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
How long in advance does BoltBus open it's ticket sales? With Megabus it is always the same number of days, but on the BoltBus-website there's no such info and the customer service didn't reply to my e-mail.

I want to use it from NY and back during the first week of 2010. And I want the 1$ fare. :-) When can I/do I have to book?

TNX
I believe that BoltBus posts schedules and sells tickets 31 days in advance. I tested the site today, November 1, searching for NYC - BOS and the latest I can find tickets is on December 2nd. Ergo, I recommend you try again a month before you want to go.

NB: Even 31 days in advance I don't see any $1.00 ticket on BoltBus from BOS - NYC. I guess they really do sell out that quickly?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:59 pm

bolt bus

how do i get to travel on the bolt bus for a dollar
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by necie
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by necie

Be the first person to book a particular trip when it becomes available for booking on Bolt's website. $1.00 fares are extremely limited (perhaps only one seat per trip), so you have to jump in early.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:30 am

I've managed the $1 fare on megabus from PHL to NYC and PHL to Was. I don't know how many seats are available at this rate, but I have definitely booked at least 2 at the same time. I check the sites daily and as soon as the dates get extended, I book my fare. If I end up not traveling I'm only out $2.50 on Megabus so no worries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.