Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

DC for New Year's eve

DC for New Year's eve

Old Aug 23, 07, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH DIA
DC for New Year's eve

My wife and I will be spending New Year's eve in Washington DC. We will be staying at The Willard but we have never been to DC at that time of the year. We are looking for advice on a good restaurant with a nice set menu as well as a good place to watch the fireworks and have a couple of drinks. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Aug 23, 07, 8:49 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I don't think there are fireworks on the mall on New Year's eve - that was just a millennium thing. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any last year, or the year before.

FWIW - the restaurant at the top of the Washington Hotel has a great view of the monuments.

There are a ton of great restaurants in D.C. Near the Willard TenPenh gets good reviews. I'd take a look at the washington post on-line and their restaurant critic to find a restaurant that matches your tastes.
Old Aug 23, 07, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
DC is completely dead during New Year's Eve. CO DCA is right in that there are no fireworks except for that one time for the millennium celebrations (and even those were botched, I think...).

You are better off in NYC if fireworks is your thing.

Otherwise, a great celebratory restaurant in the city would be CityZen at the Mandarin Oriental. They have a great set menu and the food by Eric Ziebold (Thomas Keller's former sous chef) is excellent. If you are interested, you should call and put yourself on their list so that they can send you a booklet of what all they're gonna be doing for the end of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's) celebrations. They usually have a pretty elaborate program.

If you want something excellent but less frou-frou, try Michel Richard's new bistro called Central. I haven't been but if it's anything like Citronelle (the other great restaurant in DC), it should be very good. And it's walking distance to The Willard.
Old Aug 24, 07, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Too bad there's no fireworks in DC. We have seen the ones in NYC already for the millennium. Any other places on the eastern seaboard with good fireworks on NYE?
Old Aug 24, 07, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just about everyplace that can open the door has a NYE party at a set price. many have dinner/dancing/glass or flowing champagne, and continue to dawn brunch.

The ads start about a week before christmas in the fri entertainment section of the wash post.(disclaimer, I have never gone to one)

Mall fireworks are visible from very few restaurants. the best view is from the washingtonian hotel restaurant, which has not been reviewed by anyone in the past 30 years.

If fireworks, the Hay Adams will probably have a special. fine dining(they cook very well there) and fireworks view from the rooftop. they have a great view of the whitehouse, and the fireworks beyond. I think you have to stay at the HA to get the deal.(we have done that for the 4th of july)

some rooms at the willard have a view of the fireworks. they would not guarantee booking to those rooms for us. same for marriot and regis.

The willard is within 10 blocks of probably 80% of the top dining spots in the dc area. easy to find excellent dc dining within walking distance. just book well in advance.
Old Aug 24, 07, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), SPG/Marriott PP (Ambassador)
CityZen, Central, TenPenh are all good choices for NYE dinner options. You should also consider Brasserie Beck, Oya, Zaytinya, & Zengo.
Old Aug 25, 07, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
You might want to contact the concierge at the Willard for NYE dinner ideas, as well.

As far as fireworks - there is always Disney World - I just don't know of many places that do NYE fireworks.
Old Aug 25, 07, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by mapu View Post
Thanks for the advice! Too bad there's no fireworks in DC. We have seen the ones in NYC already for the millennium. Any other places on the eastern seaboard with good fireworks on NYE?
The Inner Harbor in Baltimore
Old Oct 24, 07, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old Oct 28, 07, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), SPG/Marriott PP (Ambassador)
This should be fun

Downtown Countdown
Old Oct 28, 07, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ECOTONE View Post
This should be fun

Downtown Countdown
For a couple looking for "a nice sitdown restaurant with a set menu"? I'm thinking not...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: