Wiki Posts
Search

Improved 5A Metrobus service to IAD starts 9/24/06

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Improved 5A Metrobus service to IAD starts 9/24/06

Effective 9/24/06, the 5A Metrobus service from L'Enfant Plaza to IAD will improve to a every-40-minute frequency (from the current 60 minutes). And the first run in each direction will start earlier in the morning. First buses will leave L’Enfant Plaza at 4:50 a.m. and Dulles Airport at 5:50 a.m.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:30 pm

How completely sad that this is an improvement!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:35 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
This is great news! ^ ^

Is the early morning service inclusive of Saturdays? As of now, I would have to start my Sat-morning, IAD-originating MRs at ~8:30a at the earliest, as I do not have access to a car and will not pay $50 OW for a cab.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Service every 40 minutes will be a slight improvement, but now I'll have to lookup when the bus actually comes each hour. Previously with hourly service, it was easy to rememver because it came at the same time every hour.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:11 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Originally Posted by chrisw
Service every 40 minutes will be a slight improvement...
I would argue that the improvement's magnitude is more than slight. 50% more buses will be running. And the loads on each bus should be lighter as well. ^
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisw
Service every 40 minutes will be a slight improvement, but now I'll have to lookup when the bus actually comes each hour. Previously with hourly service, it was easy to rememver because it came at the same time every hour.
Yes, going to service on the half-hour would have been a better improvement, IMHO. I used that bus a few times when I lived in Arlington, and I can say that it was pretty darn inconvenient the way it ran before.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I can say that it was pretty darn inconvenient the way it ran before.
How is it inconvenient? It usually runs on schedule, so one can synchronize his arrival to the bus stop. Additionally, the bus only makes 2 stops on the way to IAD (assuming you boarded in Rosslyn, given your Arlington residence) and traverses the $50-cab-fare-distance in a mere 45 minutes.

A great service in my book.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
This is definitely good news. As noted, this increase in frequency should help in reducing the load a bit. It sure can be packed particularly in the morning.

This service provides one of the more economical ways of transport between downtown and IAD ^
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Since this is not UA specific, it will be moved to the Washington DC forum. Thanks for your understanding.

iluv2fly
moderator, UA
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Effective 9/24/06, the 5A Metrobus service from L'Enfant Plaza to IAD will improve to a every-40-minute frequency (from the current 60 minutes). And the first run in each direction will start earlier in the morning. First buses will leave L’Enfant Plaza at 4:50 a.m. and Dulles Airport at 5:50 a.m.
Updating my original posting here....

The WEEKDAY schedule will start earlier and run about every 40 minutes.
The WEEKEND schedule will continue to be about every 60 minutes.

New schedule is currently at: http://www.wmata.com/timetables/upcoming/dc/5a.pdf
(This link will change on/after 9/24/06.)
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
It's about time. Makes long-term parking at the Herndon-Monroe lot an even more attractive option. Free parking with a $6 r/t bus fare is a lot better than $9 a day parking with a free ride on the painfully slow Dulles buses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.