Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A basic guide to WAS and its airports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by Palal
Time to update the thread. As of Saturday, you will have multiple public transport options to get to/from IAD.
1. Fairfax Connector line 981/983 for to the Wiehle Metro Station for a grand total of $1.75 (30 mins to the metro)
2. Silver Line Express for $5 to the same metro station (I imagine the ride won't be more than 15 mins), wifi.
3. Metrobus route 5A for $6 (1h4m to L'Enfant Plaza).

If you have some time to kill at IAD and want to go visit the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, the 981/983 bus will take you there in less than 15 mins. See timetable above.
Some corrections to your update:
The 5A MetroBus is $7.50 each way, not $6.
The Fairfax Connector 983 bus goes to the museum, the 981 bus does not -
check the schedule online.

(Note that I covered all of this in my post previous to yours.)

Last edited by Annandaler; Sep 3, 2018 at 8:22 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:16 am

I noticed that the Silver Line Express and Fairfax County Connector routes do not seem to show up in trip planning on Google Maps. Is there a site that shows best connection options by time of day?

Thansk
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Even worse is that google maps still shows the "Dulles 2 Dulles" bus - which stopped operating a year ago.

Note the Bing Maps does show the 981/983 Fairfax Connector bus.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:20 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Yes. I wonder how many people still take the bus from L'Enfant Plaza rather than the silver line + SL express because Google doesn't know it?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AGR WOH
The B30 and 5A buses were only partially spared in the latest round of WMATA cuts.

B30 will only run on weekdays, and hourly (vs. 40 minute headways currently). On weekends, you'll have to rely on infrequent Amtrak/MARC trains.

5A service will be cut in frequency.

http://wamu.org/story/17/03/06/metro...-service-cuts/
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
The B30 and 5A buses were only partially spared in the latest round of WMATA cuts.

B30 will only run on weekdays, and hourly (vs. 40 minute headways currently). On weekends, you'll have to rely on infrequent Amtrak/MARC trains.

5A service will be cut in frequency.

http://wamu.org/story/17/03/06/metro...-service-cuts/
These cuts have not been implemented, only proposed. I would not be surprised if they do not go through.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by ambyr
These cuts have not been implemented, only proposed. I would not be surprised if they do not go through.
The WMATA board voted today to implement the package of service cuts and fare hikes. VA/MD/DC have already increased their contributions by $130 million, and are unlikely to find more money this year given that contributions will have to increase again next year.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Uber/Lyft to IAD/BWI

With all the good information here, I probably missed it - but could someone give me an approximate cost for Uber/Lyft from downtown DC to BWI and IAD? I did see the taxi rates. Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
At DCA, is it faster to take the shuttle bus between terminals C and B/C, or (if you have TSA Pre-Check and no bags) faster to just exit one terminal, walk to the other and go through security again? Particularly if you're a very fast walker?

The shuttle bus seems excruciatingly slow.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Depends. There is no certainty as to if one is better, Ive sat on the bus for 10 to 15 minutes waiting to get across from the alley and I've also done it in 5.

Precheck is usually a safe option at DCA except for certain times of the afternoon (especially when the congress critters are flocking home).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I am trying to figure out if 3 hours is enough time to change airports from DCA to IAD at 9 pm in January to catch an outbound flight to HKG.

Any thoughts or keep looking for other flight options?

thanks in advance
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:12 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Certainly not via public transport, but probably doable in a taxi or direct Uber, especially if you’re not checking bags.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ceres
I am trying to figure out if 3 hours is enough time to change airports from DCA to IAD at 9 pm in January to catch an outbound flight to HKG.

Any thoughts or keep looking for other flight options?

thanks in advance
At 9 PM, 4 hours should be fine with a taxi. My guess is it'll be on the high side of $60.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: United MP
Depends on the weather. What if the flight to DCA doesn't make it on time?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
DCA post security shuttle between terminals B/C and C

I have used the shuttle in the past but always thought of it as a shuttle operated for AA passengers. Is it a problem to use this shuttle if flying on a different airline? I was thinking about getting something to eat at the Priority Pass restaurant in terminal C before my JetBlue flight departing from terminal B/C. Thanks!

Also, any opinions on the "better" participating restaurant at DCA: American Tap Room or Bracket Room? Both of them have pretty bad reviews on other websites. My only attempt to visit Bracket Room (this was before ATR joined PP) was a failure, as they informed me they were closed (20 minutes before they were supposed to close), and the TSA precheck lines had already closed, making going through security twice a hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.