Wiki Posts
Search

BWI to DC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
BWI to DC

Is it easy enough to get from BWI into DC ("within walking distance of the White House" is the DC location info I have right now) without renting a car? Poking around the BWI webpage it looked like there's a bus that services the DC Subway system. Is this doable in general? Last time I was in DC I was on my eighth grade social studies field trip - been a while.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:20 am

You can do it via mass transit, depending on what time of day / night you arrive and what your cost / benefit equation is.

There is a train from BWI to Union Station. I think you have to take a shuttle bus from the terminal to the train stop but it seems to be relatively close. IT is called MARC or MARK and it runs on the Amtrak line. Amtrak also stops there, but I think it is more expensive. I haven't done it myself, but when I take the train from DC-NY it passes through that station.

Its probably a 20-30 minute train ride to Union Station. From Union Station you can either take a $5-$10 cab ride or a $2 Metro (local train). My guess is the whole process is probably 1.5 hours when you factor in shuttle bus / train / changing to local train at Union Station, etc.

Taxi would be expensive (probably $50-$70?). If you are coming in late at night, it might be worth the extra money as it will be infinitely quicker. If it is late at night taxi should take about 40 minutes.

BWI might also have some kind of bus service to the metro station. The web site for the Metro is www.wmata.com. It has a "trip planner" where you can put in start at BWI and travel to "Metro Center" that is the most central train station in the middle of DC. Good proxy for wherever you will be going.

This is the BWI Amtrak station

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...552552&ssid=94

MARK Train Info

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/...mMaps/penn.cfm
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
There are a lot of threads in this forum with additional information -- you don't even need to search, just list threads for the past 60 days and there were a couple that could appy. tmayer gave you a good start. Enjoy your visit.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by bdesmond
Is it easy enough to get from BWI into DC ("within walking distance of the White House" is the DC location info I have right now) without renting a car? Poking around the BWI webpage it looked like there's a bus that services the DC Subway system. Is this doable in general? Last time I was in DC I was on my eighth grade social studies field trip - been a while.

There is a bus that runs to/from BWI to the Greenbelt Metro station. The cost is $3 each way payable on the bus. The trip takes about 30 minutes depending on traffic. Keep in mind, the last bus leaves Greenbelt for BWI at 10pm.

Last edited by tazi; Apr 6, 2006 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
There is also Super Shuttle which costs about $30 one way. This is great if you are the first stop and awful if you are the last; I leave about 3/4 of a mile from the White House and it is a total crap shoot; but I have never waited more than about 10 mins at BWI once I "checked in" with them.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like I'm just going to hop the Amtrak and do the 30 minute hop that way. I appreciate all the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.