Wiki Posts
Search

Dupont Circle to Udvar-Hazy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Dupont Circle to Udvar-Hazy

I'm in D.C. for business on Saturday and have the morning free (until 1 pm if I push it). I'd like to check out the Udvar-Hazy museum, but have figured out that even catching the first shuttle from the National Mall is only going to allow me about an hour there before I need to get back on the shuttle.

So, here's my question for those familiar with the D.C. area: is a taxi going to get me there (or back) more quickly? (NASM site says to allow 45-60 minutes for the shuttle.) How much is the fare going to be from my hotel, near Dupont Circle, to Udvar-Hazy?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:09 pm

Yes a taxi will get you there more quickly, you won't have to find your way to the Air & Space Museum downtown and wait to catch the bus. Fare? Maybe $50-$60 each way.

How about riding Metro to DCA and renting a car for the morning? Weekend rates are cheap, I see as rates low as $19 on travelocity for Sat. There is a $10 parking charge at Udvar Hazy.

Last edited by langleyoaker; Oct 25, 2005 at 10:11 pm
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks, very helpful information.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by polkacat
I'm in D.C. for business on Saturday and have the morning free (until 1 pm if I push it). I'd like to check out the Udvar-Hazy museum, but have figured out that even catching the first shuttle from the National Mall is only going to allow me about an hour there before I need to get back on the shuttle.

So, here's my question for those familiar with the D.C. area: is a taxi going to get me there (or back) more quickly? (NASM site says to allow 45-60 minutes for the shuttle.) How much is the fare going to be from my hotel, near Dupont Circle, to Udvar-Hazy?

Thanks in advance for your help!
You could also take the 5A express Metrobus from L'Enfant Plaza downtown to Dulles airport and then take a cab from the airport to the museum and back. It's $3 each way on the bus.

http://www.wmata.com/timetables/dc/5a.pdf
Old Oct 27, 2005, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, inlogan. Interestingly enough, taking the 5a doesn't really give me a lot more time at the museum.. but it's always good to have other options!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:57 pm

polkacat, did you make it to Udvar-Hazy?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:48 pm

You may have already come and left, but how about staying out by Dulles on Friday night? That way you will only have to come into the city for your meeting and will cut the travel time on Sat in half.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since time is of the essence, find a rental car agency within short walking distance of the hotel. Sat rates are not that great in town, but will save you an hour or so going to Union sta, or DCA to get a deal. If you do rent at Union sta, or DCA, you can drop off near the hotel or 1pm meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.