Reload this Page >

Rockville, MD - which airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rockville, MD - which airport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:55 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
I'd say IAD or DCA, but I'd agree it's whether you're driving or taking Metro. Dulleees may seem a bit out of your way, but the Dulles Access Road would drop you off for free in Tysons Corner, VA and it's rarely congested--any road from DCA will be a bit of a hassle, particularly with the rerouting of 110 or the need to cut through downtown DC. DCA if you do Metro to your destination.

Then again, I'm a little biased. I grew up in Centreville and spent my childhood waiting for the Concorde to land at IAD.

Timothy
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
There are two things I would love to see:
1) Intercounty Connector
2) Purple line, connecting Montgomery County to PG County, preferably with real Metro and in the worst case, with light rail.

Unfortunatelly, I doubt that any of the two projects will see life anytime soon
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This intercounty connector (glad to know what ICC stands for)---what locations is it proposed to connect: Rockville to 95 in Laurel? Rockville to Route 32 and 95? I have my atlas open and trying to figure out what the plans are. Glad to hear that there are plans----amazed that the plans are decades old.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:44 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I made an ODP category for it a long time ago-- most of the sites should still be good. http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Roads_and...nty_Connector/
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:22 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
I think it starts at the existing I370-E near Rockville (which currently goes nowhere) and meanders its way through Montgomery/PG Counties before terminating south of Laurel. The meandering takes either a northern option or a southern option after Georgia Ave but both options terminate at the same point at I95 (close to the Beltway). The ICC will then assume the I370 name.

I think it's silly that the future I95/I370 interchange will be so close to the Beltway and that they are considering not extending the ICC to Route 1 or the BW Parkway.

Maybe if they sold the ICC as a concurrent project (where would the money come from?) with the Purple Line that the residents of both counties would be less objectionable to the idea. I can't imagine that they would want the do-nothing option after years of suffocating Beltway congestion.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
My Aunt lives in Rockville (close to the Bethesda border right by the Grovesnor Metro Station) and I take the Metro from DCA all the time. Real easy trip. I am usually in her house within 35 minutes of leaving the plane.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
My Aunt lives in Rockville (close to the Bethesda border right by the Grovesnor Metro Station) and I take the Metro from DCA all the time. Real easy trip. I am usually in her house within 35 minutes of leaving the plane.
Pretty impressive. According to the metro website (WMATA.com) the metro ride alone is at least 47 minutes. This doesn't include the several minutes walk from the plane to the platform, buying a ticket, waiting for the train and then walking the short distance to your Aunt's house.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Pretty impressive. According to the metro website (WMATA.com) the metro ride alone is at least 47 minutes. This doesn't include the several minutes walk from the plane to the platform, buying a ticket, waiting for the train and then walking the short distance to your Aunt's house.
Guess I've gotten lucky! Haven't done it during rush hour, which I am sure can add to the time. I do Yellow Line to Gallery Place and the the Red Line to Grosvenor.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Guess I've gotten lucky! Haven't done it during rush hour, which I am sure can add to the time. I do Yellow Line to Gallery Place and the the Red Line to Grosvenor.
Rush hour would reduce the time. [Read: more frequent trains.]
Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:46 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by blueDC
I think it starts at the existing I370-E near Rockville (which currently goes nowhere) and meanders its way through Montgomery/PG Counties before terminating south of Laurel. The meandering takes either a northern option or a southern option after Georgia Ave but both options terminate at the same point at I95 (close to the Beltway). The ICC will then assume the I370 name.

I think it's silly that the future I95/I370 interchange will be so close to the Beltway and that they are considering not extending the ICC to Route 1 or the BW Parkway.
I think it's silly too. The right place would be 370 to MD-198. The current plans put it ab out 5 miles from the 95/495 interchange. (I live near there.)

Connecting the ICC to the existing 198 interchange makes more sense to me than putting a new interchange in. It would also be better route to BWI that way.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:47 am

Any update to this thread since 2004 for frequent travel between ATL and Rockville? Which airport would be best for ubering without requiring a car rental? Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:47 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the Mid-Atlantic USA forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Any update to this thread since 2004 for frequent travel between ATL and Rockville? Which airport would be best for ubering without requiring a car rental? Thank you.
I would say National Airport, but I don't have experience with Uber.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:25 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
DCA is your best option. You can UBER (about $40) or you can also take the metro (if your luggage is manageable). National airport metro is serviced by Blue and Yellow lines. if you take Blue line, you need to transfer to RED line @ Metro center towards Shady Grove. if you take Yellow line, you can transfer to RED line @ Gallery Place towards Shady Grove. Rockville Metro is very conveniently located.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
DCA is your best option. You can UBER (about $40) or you can also take the metro (if your luggage is manageable). National airport metro is serviced by Blue and Yellow lines. if you take Blue line, you need to transfer to RED line @ Metro center towards Shady Grove. if you take Yellow line, you can transfer to RED line @ Gallery Place towards Shady Grove. Rockville Metro is very conveniently located.
I think this is heavily dependent on where you are in Rockville, time of departure/arrival and preferred airline (e.g. if mandated by corporate policy).

The red line breaks down frequently, and during rush hour: is packed in like sardines (i.e. standing room only). I doubt you'll have room for luggage. On top of that, trains on blue/yellow share platforms with orange/green lines, so you're likely to have to wait even longer for the right train to show up. Subway transfer occurs at either Metro Center, Gallery Place, and/or Farragut North/West (if you're willing to walk a block), all of which are extremely busy metro stations. On a good day, I'd expect Rockville-DCA to take 50-90min via metro. Stressful during rush hour; great if you have the time to spare.

Uber is a viable option to all three airports, and largely depends on time of day and direction of travel. If going by car, I'd nominate IAD as there's dedicated lanes for airport traffic and traffic in that area moves fairly consistently (YMMV). For DCA: Northbound GW Parkway is a parking lot in the afternoon. For BWI: Westbound Beltway is a parking lot in the morning, or you could take ICC if you live on the north end of Rockville.

Worth mentioning: there's a bus from Shady Grove metro station to BWI for ~$5; takes about an hour, goes in reverse as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.