Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

International to Domestic Newark Connection

Old Dec 18, 2022, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I have a question and need some help that I believe some of you road warriors can provide. I've never transitted Neward Liberty Airport. I'm traveling in a group of 6 family members from Venice to Chicago with a connection in Newark. We have @3.5 hours from arrival to departure at Newark. Here's the rub....our inbound ticket, Venice to Newark is on United and our outbound flight Newark to Chicago is on American. I'm seeing some horror stories on here about airside, landside, shuttles, security lines etc. We are all Global Entry card holders and are flying Business/First Class. My question is this; does Newark offer downline flight rechecking (baggage and ticketing) in the customs/immigration, secured area? At O'Hare the bigger airlines offer quick bag recheck and boarding pass issuance right inside of the Customs and Immigration area, so although you have to exit the secure area and go through security rescreening, you will do so without bags. I'm just wondering how much trouble this whole situation will be. The reason for the United tix VCE-EWR and the American tix EWR-ORD is because these are award tickets and UAL wanted 138K VCE-EWR and 100K EWR-ORD and VCE-ORD was 240K. The domestic ticket on AA was @35K. Thank you for any help or suggestions you might have.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gotcha3
I have a question and need some help that I believe some of you road warriors can provide. I've never transitted Neward Liberty Airport. I'm traveling in a group of 6 family members from Venice to Chicago with a connection in Newark. We have @3.5 hours from arrival to departure at Newark. Here's the rub....our inbound ticket, Venice to Newark is on United and our outbound flight Newark to Chicago is on American. I'm seeing some horror stories on here about airside, landside, shuttles, security lines etc. We are all Global Entry card holders and are flying Business/First Class. My question is this; does Newark offer downline flight rechecking (baggage and ticketing) in the customs/immigration, secured area? At O'Hare the bigger airlines offer quick bag recheck and boarding pass issuance right inside of the Customs and Immigration area, so although you have to exit the secure area and go through security rescreening, you will do so without bags. I'm just wondering how much trouble this whole situation will be. The reason for the United tix VCE-EWR and the American tix EWR-ORD is because these are award tickets and UAL wanted 138K VCE-EWR and 100K EWR-ORD and VCE-ORD was 240K. The domestic ticket on AA was @35K. Thank you for any help or suggestions you might have.
You will be arriving into Terminal B. There are no ticketing or baggage counters in the International arrivals sterile area. You will have to exit. There is a baggage drop off but I think its just for United flights. Since youre on two separate tickets, it is somewhat unlikely that United will through check your bags. I believe they will only do that with Star Alliance airlines.

Regardless, American flies out of Terminal A. The thing is that youll be flying out of the new Terminal A so predictions about checkin and security are all suspect right now. I expect youll have to take the AirTrain to the P3 stop then walk through some kind of walkway to the Terminal. I expect checkin/baggage drop off to be pretty quick especially due to your ticket class. Theyll be using the automated security lanes which should move rather quickly.

To be honest, 3.5 hours between landing and departure is, to me, more than enough time even with having to check in again. I wouldnt be worried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.