Wiki Posts
Search

BWI to DC via Amtrak/Return via MARC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
BWI to DC via Amtrak/Return via MARC

I flew into BWI on Thanksgiving Day, heading into DC as my final destination. Due to the holiday, Amtrak was the only option by rail. I exited the C Terminal at BWI on the baggage claim area and a stop for the shuttle to the Amtrak/MARC shuttle was about 100 feet away. There is a video monitor above the stop that shows the progress of the shuttle. They run every 10 mins and I only waited about 5 mins. The ride to the train station only takes about 5-10 mins. The fare into DC was $37 and I had about a 30 minute wait for the train. Train arrived on time and it took about 25 mins to get into DC.

I had not explored the option of MARC running on my Sunday return, but notice people sitting in the waiting area for the MARC trains. I looked up the schedule on the app and realized there was an option that had about 4 stops before BWI as compared to the Amtrak ticket that I held that only had one stop. The MARC option was only about 5 mins slower and cost $8. I was able to get a refund on the Amtrak ticket as I had purchased a refundable ticket.

I would definately use either Amtrak or MARC to get to/from BWI and DC. One note is that the overhead luggage storage areas on the MARC train I was on was extremely small. You might be able to fit a thin backpack or briefcase up there. There was a small seating area near the door that had a bit larger overhead area. The train I was on had very few passengers, so my suitcase and backpack weren't an issue but it might be if the train were busier.

I was pretty happy getting back and forth for $45 on a busy holiday weekend.

YMMV
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I've always wondered how it works for people who take Amtrak to/from the airport - actually, mostly from. To get to the airport, you can reserve in advance and take advantage of the saver fares, and it's not a big deal. But what happens if your flight is delayed by several hours, and you miss your reserved train from the airport back to home? I guess you could cancel online from the plane (assuming you have wifi), but then wouldn't you have to buy a new ticket at a far higher price? Or do the airport trains have a different pricing model?

When I lived in DC and had to take a flight to/from BWI, I'd take the bus to the Metro, and if my flight was very early or late, a Super Shuttle. But that was over a decade ago.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I flew into BWI on Thanksgiving Day, heading into DC as my final destination. Due to the holiday, Amtrak was the only option by rail. I exited the C Terminal at BWI on the baggage claim area and a stop for the shuttle to the Amtrak/MARC shuttle was about 100 feet away. There is a video monitor above the stop that shows the progress of the shuttle. They run every 10 mins and I only waited about 5 mins. The ride to the train station only takes about 5-10 mins. The fare into DC was $37 and I had about a 30 minute wait for the train. Train arrived on time and it took about 25 mins to get into DC.

I had not explored the option of MARC running on my Sunday return, but notice people sitting in the waiting area for the MARC trains. I looked up the schedule on the app and realized there was an option that had about 4 stops before BWI as compared to the Amtrak ticket that I held that only had one stop. The MARC option was only about 5 mins slower and cost $8. I was able to get a refund on the Amtrak ticket as I had purchased a refundable ticket.

I would definately use either Amtrak or MARC to get to/from BWI and DC. One note is that the overhead luggage storage areas on the MARC train I was on was extremely small. You might be able to fit a thin backpack or briefcase up there. There was a small seating area near the door that had a bit larger overhead area. The train I was on had very few passengers, so my suitcase and backpack weren't an issue but it might be if the train were busier.

I was pretty happy getting back and forth for $45 on a busy holiday weekend.

YMMV
the MARC train is only $7 from bwi to union station and you can buy tickets on an app.

MARC Penn line regularly run. More operate during the week days.

they used to not run on the weekends.

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I've always wondered how it works for people who take Amtrak to/from the airport - actually, mostly from. To get to the airport, you can reserve in advance and take advantage of the saver fares, and it's not a big deal. But what happens if your flight is delayed by several hours, and you miss your reserved train from the airport back to home? I guess you could cancel online from the plane (assuming you have wifi), but then wouldn't you have to buy a new ticket at a far higher price? Or do the airport trains have a different pricing model?

When I lived in DC and had to take a flight to/from BWI, I'd take the bus to the Metro, and if my flight was very early or late, a Super Shuttle. But that was over a decade ago.
you buy a $7 MARC ticket you can move it to a different MARC train on the same day. Understand they are busy at rush hour times exiting DC.

if you go from DC to BWI ….the airport buses usually align with the trains arrival so you don’t usually have much of a wait from exiting train and getting on the airport bus.

the buses from bwi just regularly run it’s route but not coordinated with the train schedule.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA

It would be nice if Amtrak offered some more flexibility on tickets from the airport, but from what I read you lose the value of a ticket if you just no show. Some fares are refundable and others aren’t and reading the fare info you would need to buy a new ticket. What happens in the real world might be different. My plan B was to have a family member come pick me up.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374
the MARC train is only $7 from bwi to union station and you can buy tickets on an app.

MARC Penn line regularly run. More operate during the week days.

they used to not run on the weekends.

you buy a $7 MARC ticket you can move it to a different MARC train on the same day. Understand they are busy at rush hour times exiting DC.

if you go from DC to BWI ….the airport buses usually align with the trains arrival so you don’t usually have much of a wait from exiting train and getting on the airport bus.

the buses from bwi just regularly run it’s route but not coordinated with the train schedule.

I bought my $8 ticket from a machine at Union Station in DC. The chart at this link shows the fare as $8 too.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mta-website...Chart-2021.pdf

From what I read online, the shuttle between the airport and train station runs every 10 minutes.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I bought my $8 ticket from a machine at Union Station in DC. The chart at this link shows the fare as $8 too.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mta-website...Chart-2021.pdf

From what I read online, the shuttle between the airport and train station runs every 10 minutes.
they set the schedule to align with train arrivals. You will ne er see a bus leave fir bwi if a Marc/ Amtrak is arriving.

it’s been $7 fir a long time. The price coukd have raised. There also might be a service fee attached to that

the state of Maryland has an app called CharmPass it operates thr MARC trains and Baltimore subway/ light rail system and I think some of the bus lines ( at least the MTA ones).
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:00 am

I think using the MARC train is a great option because you can purchase a ticket with much more convenience from the MARC ticket vending machine. In addition, if you're flight is delayed, you don't have to worry about rescheduling with Amtrak because you will likely be purchasing a MARC train ticket when you arrive at the BWI Airport station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.