Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F9/NK Merger effect on the Region

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

F9/NK Merger effect on the Region

Assuming the F9/NK merger is approved, how do you think that will impact regional airport operations and fares?

Personally, I see them consolidating all their ops (and expanding) at BWI and selling their DCA slots. If they were to sell them, I could see them:
1x WN: DCA-DEN
1x AS: DCA-SAN
1x AA: DCA-AUS

Any thoughts here?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bradleyl12
Assuming the F9/NK merger is approved, how do you think that will impact regional airport operations and fares?

Personally, I see them consolidating all their ops (and expanding) at BWI and selling their DCA slots. If they were to sell them, I could see them:

Any thoughts here?
As Frontier would have the most share, I think that they would keep the Frontier name + they would still keep DCA slots as it's an important outstation for them.
BWI being a mega-hub is of course foreseeable but they are unlikely to move out of DCA.

If BWI-DEN was a profitable route Spirit wouldn't have stopped flying, thus Frontier would have more frequencies at this time.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 5:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

No effect in DC area. Frontier doesn't fly to IAD and with 2-3 daily flights out of DCA it's hardly any competition.
As for BWI, I also don't think that Southwest has anything to fear. Spirit / Frontier being bottom feeders, you have to be really desperate to fly them.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by bradleyl12

Any thoughts here?
They couldn't just sell the DCA-DEN slots. Those beyond-perimeter slots were specifically awarded by the DOT to F9 for DEN nonstop service and any changes would require DOT approval... Although I would love to see DCA-SAN come back
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:01 am

I would love for SLC-DCA to somehow return to twice-daily frequency.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I would love for SLC-DCA to somehow return to twice-daily frequency.
DL could do that tomorrow if they wanted to swap out LAX. The second SLC slot was one of the 4 "wildcard" slots that can be moved without DOT approval. Delta moved theirs from SLC to LAX in 2017. Ah the Perimeter Rule...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.