Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Long haul flights not allowed from DCA / Washington National?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long haul flights not allowed from DCA / Washington National?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I remember that now. Thanks for the reminder. As I said, as long as cities like SMF and SAN and SAT don't have a non-stop flight, you're NOT going to see something exotic like YVR picked as a destination.
Wow - that's the first time on FT I've seen YVR get called "exotic"...

David
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by DELee
Wow - that's the first time on FT I've seen YVR get called "exotic"...

David
Compared to SYR, HSV and DAY, it sure as hell is.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by geo1005
707's did use DCA but they never flew internationally for European flights (to my knowledge there hasn't been a scheduled European flight to/from DCA).

PanAm had a DCA flight with a 707 back in the later 50s/early 60s. Lots of wide-bodies did utilize DCA. As mentioned up-thread, DL had a 767, Eastern did too.

A NW DC-10 made a diversion to DCA (from BWI) during a storm and made an empty flight out the next day.

AND, the 787 has come in and out of DCA when it was first launched - I was at Gravelly Point and expected the 787 to take most of the 7k foot runway to get off the ground but it was up and off with lots of room to spare making its departure with ease (it was empty of course).
I think that was a United DC-10. Here’s a pic
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
My friends in Ops at DCA say 757 is the largest allowed to land under normal circumstances; as noted above, on rare occasions larger planes (767, 777, 787, etc) have landed in emergency or under special conditions (empty/light). Ostensibly the perimeter rule was implemented as a regulatory measure to reduce congestion; in truth, particularly for DCA, the real reason was force traffic to IAD, which otherwise would have not been able to justify it's existence. MWAA hates it and vociferously resists whenever a congress-critter tries to expand the slot exemptions.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Section 107
MWAA hates it and vociferously resists whenever a congress-critter tries to expand the slot exemptions.
Not sure I understand; sounds like you're saying MWAA both hates the perimeter rule and hates when Congress tries to expand exemptions?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by ashill
Not sure I understand; sounds like you're saying MWAA both hates the perimeter rule and hates when Congress tries to expand exemptions?

Yup!! 100% correct. Have a friend that's part of that movement. Hates the sheer existence of the airport and it even more adamantly angry when any slots are put forth to increase the traffic at DCA. Especially if it's yet another "long haul" flight that could lead to an increased frequency if the flight is profitable.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Yup!! 100% correct. Have a friend that's part of that movement. Hates the sheer existence of the airport and it even more adamantly angry when any slots are put forth to increase the traffic at DCA. Especially if it's yet another "long haul" flight that could lead to an increased frequency if the flight is profitable.
So hates the airport, not the perimeter rule. I'm certainly aware of that contingent (and understand it, though I don't agree). It's hating both the perimeter rule and new exemptions that I don't understand.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by ashill
No, MWAA is a champion of the perimeter rule (which predates MWAA). More clearly stated would have been, "MWAA hates when an expansion is proposed and vociferously opposes such proposals." MWAA is trying to drive as much traffic as possible to IAD to lower the enplanement costs. IADs capacity is vastly underused while DCA is constantly pressed to handle its current load.

Not to mention the noise complaints from DCA's neighbors who almost every single one of them chose to buy/rent housing close to an airport...
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
If IAD is to be encouraged, mass transit needs to be improved. I am so impressed with the network of "airport express" rail and bus service options when I'm often in HKG and ICN. My life in the DC area was centered right in the heart of DC near the Metro Center station. I dreaded the trek of going to IAD to get back to the west coast. But often opted for DCA with a stop along the way just for the convenience of the trip.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
If IAD is to be encouraged, mass transit needs to be improved. I am so impressed with the network of "airport express" rail and bus service options when I'm often in HKG and ICN. My life in the DC area was centered right in the heart of DC near the Metro Center station. I dreaded the trek of going to IAD to get back to the west coast. But often opted for DCA with a stop along the way just for the convenience of the trip.
They're building the Silver Line extension to Dulles right now (after talking about it for about 20 years &#128580. Supposedly it'll be ready for early 2021, but given all the delays this has had, I'll believe that when I see it.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
They're building the Silver Line extension to Dulles right now (after talking about it for about 20 years &#128580. Supposedly it'll be ready for early 2021, but given all the delays this has had, I'll believe that when I see it.
The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

David
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
You know, to me, that's pretty impressive. That post was in December 2009. They said the Metro line will be open to Dulles by the end of this decade. Presuming they meant ten years and not two weeks (!), as major construction projects go, they're pretty close to that timeline, on track to have it done in 12 rather than 10 years.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Silver line will go IAD as pointed out in the next year. The problem is - it is slow and stops along the way. I was pretty satisfied when they had the airport bus from West Falls Church metro station nonstop to IAD. It was a 23-25 minute bus ride. So I could make it to IAD in as quick as 45 minutes. DCA is only 7 minutes away for me - so IAD is for international only..

But when part until of the Silver line opened, they started the Silver line bus from Reston - the trip increased to 90 minutes, with slow train and transfer to bus. The 5A metro city bus is quickest at 45 minutes from Rosslyn VA, since it only makes one stop along the IAD access express way.and it drops you off right at the terminal by the parking lot bus stop.

When Metro opens it will be over a hour,and then you have a good hike in the tunnel from IAD stop to the terminal.

Drive time is about 30 minutes, but if your are driving and parking you have travel from remote lot by bus or a long walk from close in parking lots.
Uber or taxi is fastest but most expensive - but still 30 minutes after it arrives. Taxi can be reserved in advance so taxi is quickest. Uber you wait for arrival.

Oh well - DCA is still the easiest. For DCA to IAD once Silver line opens - figure 1.5 hours, with a transfer.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Probably more than you wanted to know about perimeter and high density rules at DCA and LGA.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/650/648219.pdf
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I've always wondered why AA doesn't have a handful of non-stops to the Caribbean from DCA --- for example, GCM, PLS, STT, NAS. Or at least those airports where customs is cleared before departure back to the states. Is it primarily limitations on slots and no political pull for exemptions?
DCA doesn't have immigration facilities, so other than preclearance airports it couldn't handle the arrivals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.