Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Trenton - NJT -> Septa Connection

Old May 17, 20, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG

I haven't ridden Septa in probably 6+ years and may schedule a trip if I don't rent a car. Using revised scheduled due to C-19.
There is a NJ Transit midday scheduled to arrive Trenton at 12:46pm.
There is a SEPTA Trenton line going to Central City scheduled to depart at 12:45pm from Trenton. The next SEPTA is 2:45pm.

There are no guarantees but anyone know if they will hold SEPTA until the arrival and deboarding of the NJ Transit train regularly if the difference is 1-2 minutes?

And extra bonus question - if that -1 minute connection is even possible - what is easiest method to obtain a ticket for SEPTA to avoid surcharge onboard (since won't have time to get to a machine)?
Old May 17, 20, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
My friend you are asking for a miracle. I've had them pull out as I came down the platform between car doors.
Old May 18, 20, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
My friend you are asking for a miracle. I've had them pull out as I came down the platform between car doors.
That is cold! They see passengers exiting the single exit NJT and still depart knowing some want the connection. How long ago was this Pre-C19 (regular hourly service) or currently (2 hr between trains)? I agree I'm gambling here but the previous connection requires about 58 minutes of waiting at Trenton station (no thrill or joy) which sounds much better in reality vs. Septa departs and I'm stuck waiting 2 hrs Trenton for next train.
Old May 24, 20, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL View Post
I haven't ridden Septa in probably 6+ years and may schedule a trip if I don't rent a car. Using revised scheduled due to C-19.
There is a NJ Transit midday scheduled to arrive Trenton at 12:46pm.
Based on my experience, the odds of your NJTransit train arriving at the scheduled time are slim to none.

And extra bonus question - if that -1 minute connection is even possible - what is easiest method to obtain a ticket for SEPTA to avoid surcharge onboard (since won't have time to get to a machine)?
There isn't one currently. SEPTA is testing a phone app for tickets from PHL to Center City, but nowhere else yet. As of January, my last SEPTA train ride, they were accepting cash only for onboard fares, and prefer exact change. I think Trenton - Center City is $9.25.

Also keep in mind both SEPTA and NJTransit require masks to be worn and currently specify transit is to be used for "essential" travel only. I doubt they'd demand to see proof your travel is essential, but SEPTA I know will stop you from boarding or kick you off at the next stop if you're not wearing a mask. Of course, all that is subject to change. Best bet is to keep checking the transit websites.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Yesterday at 11:00 pm
Old May 24, 20, 8:30 pm

That is cold! They see passengers exiting the single exit NJT and still depart knowing some want the connection. How long ago was this Pre-C19 (regular hourly service) or currently (2 hr between trains)? I agree I'm gambling here but the previous connection requires about 58 minutes of waiting at Trenton station (no thrill or joy) which sounds much better in reality vs. Septa departs and I'm stuck waiting 2 hrs Trenton for next train.
Trying connecting between Amtrak and regional rail at 30th Street Station. That really sucks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: