Wiki Posts
Search

Philadelphia Septa Independence Pass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP75K
Philadelphia Septa Independence Pass

We are arriving to PHL airport around 9am, then leave for Seattle at 6pm. We would like to venture into the city for Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and a cheesesteak. I see Septa has a day pass called Independence pass which includes subway, regional trains, and buses, which work perfect for us. Can this be bought from the kiosks at the airport (we do not have a septa keycard)? All the literature says, buy it from the conductor, but I see on Septa website it says conductors will not sell these passes anymore and need to buy at a ticket window. But the airport doesn't have a ticket window!?!? Or do the kiosks at the airport now sell the independence passes?

When you where able to buy from conductor they would sell you an independence pass for cash and would give you a receipt, when you got into the city center, you exchanged the receipt for the actual pass at a Septa ticket window. And the website to buy the pass ahead of time has been disabled.

SEPTA | One-Day Individual & Family Independence Pass

Where To Buy

Effective September 3, 2019, One Day Individual Independence Passes no longer available for purchase from a Conductor on board a Regional Rail train. Paper Independence Passes still available for purchase at Regional Rail station Ticket Offices; or load an Independence Pass on a Key Card at a Regional Rail Station Fare Kiosk or SEPTA Transit/Regional Rail Sales window. Paper Independence Passes and Independence Passes on Key Cards can be purchased ahead of time. They become active the first time they are used.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by scklumb
We are arriving to PHL airport around 9am, then leave for Seattle at 6pm. We would like to venture into the city for Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and a cheesesteak. I see Septa has a day pass called Independence pass which includes subway, regional trains, and buses, which work perfect for us. Can this be bought from the kiosks at the airport (we do not have a septa keycard)? All the literature says, buy it from the conductor, but I see on Septa website it says conductors will not sell these passes anymore and need to buy at a ticket window. But the airport doesn't have a ticket window!?!? Or do the kiosks at the airport now sell the independence passes?

When you where able to buy from conductor they would sell you an independence pass for cash and would give you a receipt, when you got into the city center, you exchanged the receipt for the actual pass at a Septa ticket window. And the website to buy the pass ahead of time has been disabled.

Where To Buy

Effective September 3, 2019, One Day Individual Independence Passes no longer available for purchase from a Conductor on board a Regional Rail train. Paper Independence Passes still available for purchase at Regional Rail station Ticket Offices; or load an Independence Pass on a Key Card at a Regional Rail Station Fare Kiosk or SEPTA Transit/Regional Rail Sales window. Paper Independence Passes and Independence Passes on Key Cards can be purchased ahead of time. They become active the first time they are used.
How soon are you arriving there? I'll be back out that way in early October and am happy to pick up two then mail them to you if that is helpful.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
SEPTA continues its decades-long attempt at making itself more difficult for tourists and visitors to use, apparently.

To the OP: If all you are doing is going to/from the Independence Mall area, you may find that two one-way Regional Rail tickets are all you need. It's painfully unclear on the SEPTA website whether these can be purchased at the airport stations...there is reference to a "SEPTA Key Quick Trip" fare available from an airport kiosk, but it's not clear whether this can be purchased by *anyone* or just those who have previously wedded themselves to the SEPTA Key fare system.

(I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this myself, as I'm flying into PHL next month and need to connect up to Amtrak at 30th Street.)

At any rate, the OP could ride to Jefferson Station and back for roughly the same price as an Independence Pass.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scklumb

Where To Buy

What you plan to do in Philly is all walkable, so I would suggest taking the train from PHL and possibly transferring onto the subway or subway-surface system to get a bit closer to your destination. You have enough time to walk around the historic district too, or if you're energetic, to the Rittenhouse Square area. Do the reverse to return to the airport. You only need one roundtrip or two one way fares per person, not an all day pass. Check whether a same day airport RT is cheaper than two one way tickets.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
To the OP: If all you are doing is going to/from the Independence Mall area, you may find that two one-way Regional Rail tickets are all you need. It's painfully unclear on the SEPTA website whether these can be purchased at the airport stations At any rate, the OP could ride to Jefferson Station and back for roughly the same price as an Independence Pass.
All airport trains go to Jefferson Station near all the tourist things, it takes about 30 minutes. I was at PHL in August and they had ticket machines on the track level. Credit cards and one way tickets only, IIRC it was around nine bucks each way.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
So no ability to purchase an Independence Pass right from the vending machine at the airport?

Knowing what I know of SEPTA's fare structure that sounds like par for the course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.