Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

DCA will be temporarily shut down for Independence Day events

Old Jul 2, 19, 9:16 am
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Independence Day events in Washington DC will freeze air traffic to and from Reagan National Airport on Thurday, July 4 from 6:15pm - 7:45pm for the flyover of military jets and again from 9:00pm - 9:45pm to accommodate an extended fireworks show.

In past years, flights at DCA have not been affected by fireworks but the launch point was moved this year to accommodate Trump's speech.
Old Jul 3, 19, 6:52 am

I expected Flyer Talk to be buzzing about this and I'm surprised to see not only no feature, but (so far) only one post about it. What are all of the airlines that had flights into DCA doing? That's over two hours. From a quick look, between 6:15 and 7:45 on July 4, I count 30 scheduled arrivals and 9 departures, and between 9 and 9:45, 7 arrivals and 5 arrivals.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more flights affected, but still, that's a lot of flights to be delayed, canceled, landings diverted to (probably) IAD, or departures delayed or re-scheduled.
Old Jul 3, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post
I expected Flyer Talk to be buzzing about this and I'm surprised to see not only no feature, but (so far) only one post about it. What are all of the airlines that had flights into DCA doing? That's over two hours. From a quick look, between 6:15 and 7:45 on July 4, I count 30 scheduled arrivals and 9 departures, and between 9 and 9:45, 7 arrivals and 5 arrivals.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more flights affected, but still, that's a lot of flights to be delayed, canceled, landings diverted to (probably) IAD, or departures delayed or re-scheduled.
This is a negative impact to business. It really is unbelievable on so many levels.
notquiteaff, dlffla and ryw like this.
Old Jul 3, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Seville Airport closed for hours tin June for military exercises. My flight from Frankfurt was delayed for several hours. It was annoying but part of Spain’s armed forces day Parade festivities.

Its not that unbelievable. It happens.
Old Jul 4, 19, 9:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
I'm not sure there's anything to be said on this closure that isn't better suited for the OMNI/PR forum.
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
I'm not sure there's anything to be said on this closure that isn't better suited for the OMNI/PR forum.
I have no idea what the OMNI/PR forum is, but if you think it would be significant there, feel free to re-post it there (and tell me where "there" is, please).
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
A parade is always nice, as a country we should be proud.
Old Jul 9, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
So I was on a WN flight that was delayed due to the new birthday party arrangements. Then it was delayed yet again for wx, then cxld due to wx so we were re-routed through MDW and that flt to DCA was itself delayed to the late fireworks. We ended up arriving sometime after 11pm - only 5 hours late.