FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/)
-   -   Driving Washington DC to Ithaca - best route? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic/1967436-driving-washington-dc-ithaca-best-route.html)

tide Apr 29, 2019 7:23 am

Driving Washington DC to Ithaca - best route?

Google Maps presents 2 routes: US-15 through Corning/Elmira (shorter distance) or I-81 through Binghampton.
Which would you recommend for speed and ease of drive?

Thanks

GUWonder Apr 30, 2019 6:49 am

Originally Posted by tide (Post 31048358)
Google Maps presents 2 routes: US-15 through Corning/Elmira (shorter distance) or I-81 through Binghampton.

Thanks

I-81, at least at times when the traffic isn’t bad.

djp98374 Apr 30, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks

I have done both.

The binghampton route is mostly interstate. You could go beltway to 95 to 694 to 83 to 81

I have done 15 numerous times.

16 to harrisburg is an expressway. north of harrisburgh its a 2 lane road. Just south of 80 you run into a town with a bunch of traffic lights that could take forever.

After I-80 its mostly an expressway to I-86/MY 17 in NY

Id do 81 since the desrination is ithica. If you want to do a split of this drive and stop for the night then go 15,

smc333 Apr 30, 2019 11:27 am

Originally Posted by djp98374 (Post 31052898)
I have done both.

The binghampton route is mostly interstate. You could go beltway to 95 to 694 to 83 to 81

I have done 15 numerous times.

16 to harrisburg is an expressway. north of harrisburgh its a 2 lane road. Just south of 80 you run into a town with a bunch of traffic lights that could take forever.

After I-80 its mostly an expressway to I-86/MY 17 in NY

Id do 81 since the desrination is ithica. If you want to do a split of this drive and stop for the night then go 15,

I don't mean to derail the thread, but since you've been through the area, do you know of a town with parking in the middle of the street that's either a little ways before or after Triangle NY? I drove through years ago and I can't remember the name and haven't been able to track it down with Google maps. It was literally a wide road with parking spots in the middle, either perpendicular or diagonal to the flow of traffic. I can't remember the name or find the town and it's been bugging me for years!

guv1976 Apr 30, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by smc333 (Post 31053001)
I don't mean to derail the thread, but since you've been through the area, do you know of a town with parking in the middle of the street that's either a little ways before or after Triangle NY? I drove through years ago and I can't remember the name and haven't been able to track it down with Google maps. It was literally a wide road with parking spots in the middle, either perpendicular or diagonal to the flow of traffic. I can't remember the name or find the town and it's been bugging me for years!

If it was on NY-206, possibly Greene, NY.

smc333 Apr 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31053042)
If it was on NY-206, possibly Greene, NY.

I just went through Greene with Google maps and that's it!! Thank you!

tide Apr 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31051984)
I-81, at least at times when the traffic isn’t bad.

Originally Posted by djp98374 (Post 31052898)
I have done both.

Thanks @GUWonder and @djp98374. After looking at Google StreetView, I-81 is the way to go.
I'll take the beltway to 270N, US-15N through Harrisburg and then link-up to the I-81 to Ithaca

kipper May 5, 2019 6:43 pm

Either way, if you aren't in a hurry to get to Ithaca, send me a PM when you know your travel dates and we can meet for drinks or dinner. :D @jrl767 has made this drive several times.

guv1976 May 5, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks

Are you sure that you wouldn't rather fly? There are now three daily nonstops from IAD to ITH on UA Express.

Section 107 May 7, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31070809)
Are you sure that you wouldn't rather fly? There are now three daily nonstops from IAD to ITH on UA Express.

What!? and miss all the scenery?

tide May 8, 2019 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 31070801)
Either way, if you aren't in a hurry to get to Ithaca, send me a PM when you know your travel dates and we can meet for drinks or dinner. :D @jrl767 has made this drive several times.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I will be in and out with what looks like a packed schedule for my child's campus dorm move-in.

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31070809)

Looks to be expensive to fly. My kid flew this route recently. Landed at ITH (on a Sunday afternoon) to find no taxis in rank. 2 Uber's cancelled in a row.

Again thanks all for the help and comments.

IADCAflyer May 10, 2019 5:27 am

I-81 makes me shudder. 18 wheeler city.

kipper May 10, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by tide (Post 31081501)
Thanks. Unfortunately, I will be in and out with what looks like a packed schedule for my child's campus dorm move-in.

Looks to be expensive to fly. My kid flew this route recently. Landed at ITH (on a Sunday afternoon) to find no taxis in rank. 2 Uber's cancelled in a row.

LOL, I'm near MDT, so if you have time on the way home, PM me.

smc333 May 10, 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by tide (Post 31081501)

There's ROC and SYR too, and they're not far if you can get a rental. i-90 doesn't have that much going for it, but it's at least an easy enough drive most of the time. Then there's a nice easy drive down whichever of the Fingerlakes you go south along.