FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/)
-   -   Annapolis during Commissioning Week (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic/1963830-annapolis-during-commissioning-week.html)

Travlur Apr 3, 2019 12:14 pm

Annapolis during Commissioning Week

Hi All,

I need to travel to the Annapolis MD area at the end of May, at a time that overlaps with the end of the US Navy's Commissioning Week at the Naval Academy. I have heard that Annapolis should be completely avoided during that time (unless going to the commissioning) because of the crowds, gridlock, etc. I was wondering if anyone with experience knows how bad it is? I can stay somewhere else, but it will put me much farther away from where I have to be each day.

TIA for any advice.

IADCAflyer Apr 6, 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Travlur (Post 30961149)
Hi All,

I need to travel to the Annapolis MD area at the end of May, at a time that overlaps with the end of the US Navy's Commissioning Week at the Naval Academy. I have heard that Annapolis should be completely avoided during that time (unless going to the commissioning) because of the crowds, gridlock, etc. I was wondering if anyone with experience knows how bad it is? I can stay somewhere else, but it will put me much farther away from where I have to be each day.

TIA for any advice.

Simple answer - avoid. Annapolis, in the inner core, is one of America's oldest cities. Narrow streets, one way streets, etc. There are going to be thousands of people in town and some high level dignitaries (SecDef, SecNav, even POTUS). That creates additional traffic pressures.

Often1 Apr 6, 2019 9:49 am

The issue is not simply where you stay, but where you need to be. To be very clear, the area may be in total gridlock for hours at a time. Thus, it is not about planning 30 minutes for a 5 minute drive, but rather about whether you need to make alternate plans because an entire area will be closed off for hours or the traffic is so bad that you will simply sit.

Staying elsewhere means that you need to get to Annapolis and that presumes parking. A better approach if you truly must go at this time is to find a hotel within walking distance of your destination and then stay put.

DELee Apr 7, 2019 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30971754)
Staying elsewhere means that you need to get to Annapolis and that presumes parking. A better approach if you truly must go at this time is to find a hotel within walking distance of your destination and then stay put.

Or try like mad to reschedule your travel to Annapolis away from this time.

David

andrewstahl Apr 8, 2019 5:58 am

You may want to check out the Commissioning Week schedule that USNA publishes. It details things like Blue Angels practice times which lead to bridge closures etc.

djp98374 Apr 8, 2019 8:29 am

things would be 10 times worse if the President or VP gives a commencement speech there.

Travlur Apr 8, 2019 3:10 pm

Great, thanks everyone for the advice.