Search

Leaving Secure Area at IAD During Connection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Leaving Secure Area at IAD During Connection

Hello,

Haven't been to IAD in many, many years, but have an international to domestic connection (all UA) coming up in a week or so. The connection is 2hr 45min, no checked bags, Global Entry. I was thinking of trying leave the secure area and have a drink with a friend that lives in DC that I've also not seen in years. Just in the airport, assuming there is somewhere halfway decent pre-security. Would 2hr 45 mins give me enough time to get through immigration etc, out to the main terminal area and then back in through security again? Fortunately I'm in business so I'll be off the plane reasonably quick.

Appreciate any insight some IAD pros might have!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by SJG-UK
Hello,

Haven't been to IAD in many, many years, but have an international to domestic connection (all UA) coming up in a week or so. The connection is 2hr 45min, no checked bags, Global Entry. I was thinking of trying leave the secure area and have a drink with a friend that lives in DC that I've also not seen in years. Just in the airport, assuming there is somewhere halfway decent pre-security. Would 2hr 45 mins give me enough time to get through immigration etc, out to the main terminal area and then back in through security again? Fortunately I'm in business so I'll be off the plane reasonably quick.

with GE? absolutely. do you have checked luggage as that would change the entry point, but assuming carry-on only if say you can be out of the immigration hall in 30 minutes (the mobile lounges being the biggest delay). precheck getting back in and worst case to the c-pier should be 30 minutes or less.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Great, that's good to know. Definitely not checking a bag so I'll probably do it. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

You are planning on meeting your friend at IAD right? Not going to DC?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:09 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
there is just one option to have a drink pre-security in IAD (District Chophouse).

Assuming there is no issue with the mobile lounge, it will not be a problem since you have GE.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If for any reason the mobile lounges are backed up, you can always head through connections to the UA midfield CBP area and then head in to the main terminal on the AeroTrain. Depending on the time of day, it may be that midfield is not as busy but it is hard to tell without studying schedules. It is also a hike from the midfield CBP exit to what passses for the AeroTrain C Terminal platform.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the poor guy is coming to IAD, I’m not going into DC . very glamorous destination for a drink, but at least I know there is one place pre security. Thanks all!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
there is just one option to have a drink pre-security in IAD (District Chophouse).

Assuming there is no issue with the mobile lounge, it will not be a problem since you have GE.
District Chophouse is not the only pre-security bar at IAD. Café Americana by Claim 15 just outside IAB
also has bar service.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SJG-UK
Hello,

You won't have to try to leave the secure area. Unless you are arriving from a pre-clearance airport such as AUH, you will be required to leave the secure area. At that point you can decide if you have enough time to meet your friend, but with an ontime arrival you should have plenty of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.