FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/)
-   -   Middleburg, VA Commute to IAD-Area Hotels? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic/1954655-middleburg-va-commute-iad-area-hotels.html)

FlyinHawaiian Feb 4, 2019 6:01 pm

Middleburg, VA Commute to IAD-Area Hotels?

Hi All:

I am contemplating attending a two-day conference at the Salamander Resort in Middleburg; the $450+ a night cost to stay at the resort is a bit daunting, though. How feasible would it be to stay at one of the IAD-area hotels like the ones in Chantilly and drive to/from the Salamander each day (via US 50, it would appear)? Are there other hotel locations (like Manassas) that would be better commute?

Thanks!

EricTheNerd Feb 5, 2019 8:53 am

If you're after chain / points hotels, you could make the argument that Leesburg, Haymarket / Gainesville, Manassas, maybe even Warrenton would be better commutes than Chantilly (not sure if 50 has cleared up much since I left 3 years ago... though the "reverse" commute could make it mildly more tolerable). Then again, Chantilly brings you a bit closer to the "excitement" of Fairfax County.

If you're willing to look at non-chain options, there are quite a few in western Loudoun, including a couple right in Aldie (close enough to Middleburg without the prices [tbh I'm baffled why any conference would base itself at the Salamander unless they thought budget wasn't a concern for attendees]). I think a commute from anywhere in the area bounded by a ring of Purcellville, Bluemont, Mt. Weather, Upperville / Sky Meadows, and Aldie should be pleasant enough, as the roads are generally winding and rural. I lived about a 1/4 mile from the "Airwell" (Snickersville / Airmont intersection) for a time and heard positive reviews.

Regardless of where you stay, enjoy Middleburg and the surrounding area!

drewguy Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by EricTheNerd (Post 30741831)
tbh I'm baffled why any conference would base itself at the Salamander unless they thought budget wasn't a concern for attendees]

Don't know OP's profession, but some number of conferences for professional accreditation are held at nice resorts (think continuing legal education, medical conferences) seemingly because many attendees can afford it and because for some of them they may treat it as a bit of a vacation and even bring family (which presumably leads the resort to offer good prices to the conference to boost attendance).

If you want to be particularly close, consider the Red Fox Inn as well.

FlyinHawaiian Feb 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks again for the responses; I decided that I couldn't stay at such an expensive resort in good conscience, even with my firm paying for it. I found a similar conference in Boston later this year where there are many properties with corporate rates in case I decide not to stay at the host hotel.