Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Reagan Ntl. to National Harbor by Metro?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA, AA

Is the trip from Reagan to national harbor a relatively easy trip on the Metro? Will have 2 kids with me just wondering if it is worth saving a few dollars over Uber, taxi, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
No. There's no Metro station at National Harbour. You have to connect to a bus.

Would definitely not recommend it.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:02 pm

Rome2Rio guesstimates that a taxi will be about ~$40 and Uber ~$22 for a 20-minute ride.

Just for kicks, I threw it into the WMATA Trip Planner, and it says it'll take 1h24m all in. Sure, it'll cost you $3.60 per person, but with kids in tow, the money (and time) spent on a taxi or Uber will be well-spent.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
No. There's no Metro station at National Harbour. You have to connect to a bus.
Well, a bus or a boat. But taking the water taxi (from the Mall or from Alexandria) will take more time and more money than just Ubering straight there. I mention it only because if one of your kids is into boats, as some kids are, it might be a fun expedition later in the trip.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:37 pm

I'm know expert on Nat Harbor but driving in and around DCA and Old Town Alexandria (which is just south of DCA), I frequently see Gaylord National shuttle buses. Quick search on the Google ....

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/w...nsportation.mi

"Gaylord National Airport Shuttle to Reagan National Airport (DCA)

Gaylord National offers an exclusive, express shuttle to and from Reagan National Airport.

From 6:00am until 8:00pm the shuttle departs every 20 minutes from Gaylord National's front door to Reagan National Airport, and every 20 minutes from the Reagan National Airport baggage claim.

Reservations are recommended; tickets are also available from the SuperShuttle desk on the lower level of the airport, near baggage claim.
NEW: Gaylord discount on ExecuCar private car service click on SuperShuttle (prepaid reservations only)

Daily Shuttle Schedule: 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM"
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
I think there is a bus from Branch Ave metro to the National Harbor. But unless you want to waste close to 2 hours for saving some money, I would highly suggest taking the shuttle from National, Taxi or Uber.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think that national harbor shuttle to DCA costs $25 pp.(each way)(each person)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not use Metro Bus. Take a look at a map and you will see that you will be taking multiple commuter routes which take you through horrific traffic at pretty much all times of day.

Uber is fastest and most convenient.

Water shuttle is most pleasant.

What Gaylord suggests is its "preferred" provider is Super Shuttle and quotes $18 pp. Not sure why anyone would pay that. when Uber runs within $2 of that, sometimes a bit less. Maybe like the Manhattan properties which can find you a car service to LGA for $250.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

parking in NH

seems all the hotels charge $20 to park overnight, is there free street parking??

Looking to catch a show at MGM but dont want to stay there, I know NH is across the river from Alex but prefer to sleep in NH

Was thinking of flying down but after reading the posts above and with no direct Metro link back to driving it
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My recommendation has not changed since 2016. Uber.

Driving is inconvenient if you are not familiar with the route and the $20 for parking is expensive by national standards, but not for the area. There is effectively no on street parking.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
My recommendation has not changed since 2016. Uber.

Driving is inconvenient if you are not familiar with the route and the $20 for parking is expensive by national standards, but not for the area. There is effectively no on street parking.
thx, so staying @ HN is now out. As long as the MGM still has free self-parking I will simply book a hotel elsewhere. Part of the problem with flying besides no Metro is theres talk of another 1 or 2 storms hitting the NE this coming weekend and next week.so If I cant get to HN on the day I want to, no sense going, a travel wavier may not be in affect and even if it is I wouldnt want to fly but simply CX the tkt, might not have that option. So driving it will be
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by craz
thx, so staying @ HN is now out. As long as the MGM still has free self-parking I will simply book a hotel elsewhere.
If you have an M Life card, Pearl level gets you free parking at MGMs.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
thx, so staying @ HN is now out. As long as the MGM still has free self-parking I will simply book a hotel elsewhere. Part of the problem with flying besides no Metro is theres talk of another 1 or 2 storms hitting the NE this coming weekend and next week.so If I cant get to HN on the day I want to, no sense going, a travel wavier may not be in affect and even if it is I wouldnt want to fly but simply CX the tkt, might not have that option. So driving it will be

Although MGM has said they will move to paid self-parking, it is still currently FREE to self-park. This is stated on their website in not so explicit terms.

UBER between MGM Resort and National Harbor (the Gaylor) is usually about $5. Metro has a shuttle between the two locations that is a bit cheaper but only if you are solo - not when multiplied by the number of people in your party. I have also found the metro much less convenient by timing and location of stops for where I really wanted to go. Uber can literally drop you door to door, the bus cannot.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
seems all the hotels charge $20 to park overnight, is there free street parking??

Looking to catch a show at MGM but dont want to stay there, I know NH is across the river from Alex but prefer to sleep in NH

Was thinking of flying down but after reading the posts above and with no direct Metro link back to driving it
Free street parking is virtually non-existent.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by fatboydave
Is the trip from Reagan to national harbor a relatively easy trip on the Metro? Will have 2 kids with me just wondering if it is worth saving a few dollars over Uber, taxi, etc.
Short answer, no.

Long answer, you'd have to grab a Yellow Line train at National, transfer to southbound Green Line and transfer to the NH1 bus at Southern Ave. Not worth the hassle, and for the whole mess of you, it might make a whole lot of sense to grab Uber/Lyft instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.