Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

NYC to Harrisburg PA?

NYC to Harrisburg PA?

Old Oct 28, 18, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

NYC to Harrisburg PA?

We're trying to figure out an efficient way to get from NYC to Harrisburg, PA and back.

Driving is 3 to 5 hours, depending on timing. Sitting behind the wheel for this long is no fun.

LGA-MDT is about 3:30 (with a stop), plus getting to the airport, security, etc. A non-stop flight would work, but they don't appear to have existed for many years.

Amtrak is about 3:30, plus getting to Penn Station, etc.

A helicopter is absurdly expensive.

Am I missing something? Is there a better or easier way?
Old Oct 29, 18, 1:01 am

There's always the bus-both Greyhound and Fullington have stops in Harrisburg, but I don't believe Fullington runs a direct service between the two. There's also the Great Wall bus if that interests you. Other than that there aren't really any other major options that I'm aware of.
Old Oct 29, 18, 1:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, United Platinum
By train
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Train is a great option...but how many people?
Old Oct 29, 18, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Two people.

I was hoping I'd missed some option that's faster than Amtrak. I really miss the non-stop from LGA.
Old Oct 29, 18, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe it's improved, but that train line has/had a reputation for being very late quite often.

Where are you really starting (NYC or some suburb?) and do you own a car or would you be renting for a weekend or whatever?

Time of the year and time of day could also make a difference if it would involve driving in bad weather or bad traffic conditions.
Old Oct 29, 18, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Amtrak was 2 minutes late one way, 2 minutes early the other.

Last edited by richarddd; Nov 1, 18 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 1, 18, 7:03 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Maybe it's improved, but that train line has/had a reputation for being very late quite often.

Where are you really starting (NYC or some suburb?) and do you own a car or would you be renting for a weekend or whatever?

Time of the year and time of day could also make a difference if it would involve driving in bad weather or bad traffic conditions.
Amtrak is much improved.
Old Nov 1, 18, 7:12 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I'd opt for Amtrak. I work in Harrisburg and have made the trip to NYC a few times. Mr. Kipper and I drove once or twice, and I've used Amtrak quite regularly. I've never had a drive to NYC or from NYC that took only between 3-4 hours. I prefer Amtrak because I can avoid all traffic and still get some work accomplished while on the train.

If the trains run late, it's usually only a few minutes. That said, you'll want to look at train stops before booking, as some of the Keystone Service trains make additional stops around Philadelphia, while others will skip certain stops. We took Amtrak from NYC on Tuesday. Taking the one that left at 2:11 PM took 3 hours, 10 minutes to reach Harrisburg. The 2:44 PM train took 3 hours, 45 minutes or some such due to the additional stops.
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Iím sure youíve already done the trip but Amtrak is going to the cheapest and easiest. I always drive Harrisburg to NYC because itís not too terrible a drive. As to flying MDT is the most absurdly priced airport in existence, so Iíd not recommend it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: