Wiki Posts
Search

Stay in Tysons/Bethesda/DC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Stay in Tysons/Bethesda/DC?

Bringing Mrs and mother-in-law for a long weekend to DC. Purpose is excursion, national mall/ museums and some decent eats. I have spent few years in N Bethesda/Rockville so I am not totally unfamiliar with DMV area. However, I don't know too much about DC and it's parking issues.

Aiming to stay in one of Hyatt properties in either Tysons, bethesda or DC and will be keeping a car. DC properties are charging a good bit for valet with in-out privileges. Spot hero parking deals are not allowing in-out at all. For those reasons, I am leaning a little towards Bethesda/Tysons. I remember redline going from Bethesda to DC (not sure about Tysons... some project was underway few years ago).

Any thoughts/suggestions on where to stay?

PS - would this be good time for a drive to Shenendoah valley for fall colors?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Tysons Corner has absolutely no redeeming features. It's a series of giant shopping malls with horrendous traffic (which is largely true for most of DC area).
It is now a stop on the new Silver Line - 25 mins (give or take) to the centre-ish of DC (Foggy Bottom or Farragut West stops).
Bethesda does have some redeeming features (relatively speaking). It's actually walkable. There are plenty of restaurants and bars.
It is on the Red Line ... straight shot down to DC.
DC parking is a nightmare ... I would leave your car behind if you are staying.
Can't speak to Shenandoah and tree colours ... though I'd be surprised if they are close to or at peak given how hot it has been here of late ... still feels like summer.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I would strongly recommend flying in and not renting a car. Parking is so expensive, and sometimes difficult to find, that you would save a lot of time and money by using Uber or Lyft to go everywhere.

The Grand Hyatt is in the best location for sightseeing, but the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda is right on top of the Metro and has a number of good restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. I'd also suggest Crystal City, which is close to DCA and a very quick Metro or car ride into downtown.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

I used to live near Grosvenor station on redline but never really used it as much. Never found the train system to be spectacular or super efficient.

Agreed with Bethesda location. It's nothing great (more like an upscale suburban downtown) but better than Tysons. Is there any location in DC metro that would be any better? Not looking to stay by Georgetown either. It's upscale shopping and expensive restaurants.

Originally Posted by joejones
I would strongly recommend flying in and not renting a car. Parking is so expensive, and sometimes difficult to find, that you would save a lot of time and money by using Uber or Lyft to go everywhere.

The Grand Hyatt is in the best location for sightseeing..
...I'd also suggest Crystal City, which is close to DCA and a very quick Metro or car ride into downtown.
I am flying in DCA and leaving from BWI. Also, some of my favorite food joints are bit spread out in Arlington... so def need a car.

Didn't think about Crystal city. Good location but kindda boring, right? There is only big business hotels there. Or has the area changed lately?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:26 pm

It's been warm this year. Peak leaf color in Shenandoah is probably a good three weeks away.

I agree with the previous posters that a car is going to be a hindrance more than a help. If you have some locations you want to visit that require a car (like Shenandoah and, I guess, eateries in Arlington), why not a one-day rental? Any day you're spending in DC is a day you're going to be paying for your car to do nothing but sit in a garage.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I am flying in DCA and leaving from BWI. Also, some of my favorite food joints are bit spread out in Arlington... so def need a car.

Didn't think about Crystal city. Good location but kindda boring, right? There is only big business hotels there. Or has the area changed lately?
I still don't think you need a car. Uber and Lyft are way more convenient, and for three people will often be competitive with Metro pricing. If your plans include eating out in Arlington, I'd consider staying in Crystal City and calling a car to take you to dinner and back. There's also quite a bit of stuff around Crystal City -- lots of apartment complexes springing up in that area with shops/restaurants to accompany them, plus the underground shops at Crystal City metro, the big mall at Pentagon City, etc. Definitely somewhat more sterile than Bethesda though.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Car is there for mainly for 2 reasons:

1. Transport to-from airport. Again, I am flying in DCA but outbound from BWI. Shuttles for 3 people will add up.
2. Trip to Shenandoah or anywhere around in NoVa/surrounding MD area.

I could manage a day rental for Shenandoah but what would be reliable for getting BWI without a car? Can I get a train from Union station in DC?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Ignore the lyft/uber folks and rent the car you want - you can always ditch the car at a suitable park and ride if getting into the heart of DC on Metro is critical. You'll be spending a long weekend, not eternity with the car.

If you know where you'll be spending the majority of your time - such as out in Northern VA, Southern MD - set your self up for success and find a) a cheaper suburban hotel with free parking - or free weekend street parking and b) keep an eye out for larger events when you plan your travels for the day so that you don't get trapped in traffic around a specific part of the Beltway and/or DC.

There's MARC and trains between DC Union Station and BWI but, as you indicated, that will add up with three people and eat up time. Keep the car.

Have fun!

David
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Car is there for mainly for 2 reasons:

1. Transport to-from airport. Again, I am flying in DCA but outbound from BWI. Shuttles for 3 people will add up.
2. Trip to Shenandoah or anywhere around in NoVa/surrounding MD area.

I could manage a day rental for Shenandoah but what would be reliable for getting BWI without a car? Can I get a train from Union station in DC?
You can take the Marc train to BWI from Union Station. There is a free shuttle bus from the BWI rail station to the airport.

https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...Aug25_Full.pdf

Having a car in DC is akin to burning money. A ticket to BWI is $7/person — cheaper than nightly hotel overnight parking.

Last edited by Analise; Oct 18, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I lived in Virginia for a few years and stay in crystal city when visiting dc. 5 mins from DCA, good rates on hotel, and the metro is right there. There are some bars and restaurants around if you really want to stay in the area, plus the big mall, but we almost always end up taking the train into DC proper.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
You can take the Marc train to BWI from Union Station. There is a free shuttle bus from the BWI rail station to the airport.

https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...Aug25_Full.pdf

Having a car in DC is akin to burning money. A ticket to BWI is $7/person — cheaper than nightly hotel overnight parking.
Going with no car and staying at GH around National Mall. Will take a day rental from Crystal City if needed. I'll miss my old eats in Silver Spring, Arlington etc but hopefully DC restaurants will make up for it.

Thanks for the good advice. I will definitely be taking the MARC from Union station to BWI.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Unsure when you are coming...

as as of now still not much color in Shenandoah due to the warm September and early October.

two weekends from now there will be a metro station closure at DCA and crystal city stations from Friday nov 2- thru all day Monday nov 5. Free bussing from Braddock station to pentagon city station.

Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Smart move.

If visiting DC, staying in DC is part of the experience. A hotel room is a hotel room is a hotel room. But, nice restaurants within walking distance, many of the museums, monuments and the like within walking / Metro / Uber distance, makes a limited trip much more fun and useful.

Car rentals at DCA are expensive (look at the extra taxes and fees). Car rental return at BWI is at a place labeled BWI but a 10+ minute shuttle bus ride involving crossing the interstate.

At worst, an Uber from DCA to downtown DC will run in the $20 range all in and an Uber out to BWI around $50 all in. MARC / Amtrak run out to BWI and DCA is 3-5 Metro stops from downtown depending on route.

Hotel parking, whether in & out or not will run $40-60 / night + taxes.

Day rentals often available for $25-30 for the Shenandoah run.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would avoid staying around Tysons Corner under any and all circumstances if wanting to visit DC proper as a typical out-of-town tourist wanting to hit the various national landmarks and other prime tourist spots.

Bethesda is better than Tysons Corner but it's more out of the way for me than alternatives that may be comparably priced -- principally parts of Northern Virginia along the Orange and Blue lines.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The Silver Line does take you from Tysons to downtown - about a 35 minute metro ride. Tysons hotels can be often cheaper than DC options - but if there is a conference in the area, then all bets are off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.