Reload this Page >

IAD: United to Austrian connection time opinions

Old Jun 17, 18, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler

Hi,

Travelling ORD-IAD-VIE with 80 minute scheduled connection in IAD United to Austrian. Trying to gauge adequacy of that given relatively routine ORD delays and I haven't been through IAD in years. When connecting from United (not sure which arrival terminal) to Austrian Air at IAD, would folks be generally comfortable with that time? Only other option would leave me with a 5 hour connection.

Thanks-
Old Jun 17, 18, 6:27 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
If there are no delays, 80 minutes is sufficient if your baggage is checked thru to VIE. Austrian flies from Concourse B. Your incoming flight (UA) which will most likely arrive in Concourse C or D. You can take the Aerotrain from Concourse C or take a shuttle from D gates to the main terminal and then take Aerotrain to B or walk to Concourse C to take the Aerotrain to B gates. The transfer process will take about 15 minutes.

If you arrive @ D gates, I would suggest walking a short distance to C gates and taking the Aerotrain to B gates. It is a lot easier to do that.
Old Jun 17, 18, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you arrive at Concourse D, it is hardly a short walk. The Arerotrain station for C is at the far end of C and is located off a "spit" where the new Concourse C will be built some time in the distant future.

The larger issue here is ontime performance. There is no way to predict this. It is a legal connection so UA will rebook you, but the question to you is the consequence of being delayed into VIE by somewhere between hours (routing through FRA/MUC on UA-LH) or by a day for the next VIE nonstop.

If there are already delays when you get to ORD, have in mind some options as UA might proactively rebook you from ORD.
Old Jun 18, 18, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by masonp123 View Post
Hi,

Travelling ORD-IAD-VIE with 80 minute scheduled connection in IAD United to Austrian. Trying to gauge adequacy of that given relatively routine ORD delays and I haven't been through IAD in years. When connecting from United (not sure which arrival terminal) to Austrian Air at IAD, would folks be generally comfortable with that time? Only other option would leave me with a 5 hour connection.

Thanks-
Unless O'Hare is suffering from severe weather, you should be fine. Is there a special reason you're not simply taking the non-stop ORD-VIE flight?
Old Jun 18, 18, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Thanks all, appreciate the input. I'm on a contract fare so can't take the non-stop. The vagaries of contract fares...
Old Jun 22, 18, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Alaska Mileage Plan, Amtrak Guest Rewards
80 minutes is plenty of time for your bags to get through. I don't know if your ORD leg is landing in terminal A, C or D, but you can take the AeroTrain to get from there to terminal B. Assuming Austrian is where they were last time I flew ANA (they shared a gate), it's a short walk from the train stop.
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017 View Post
If there are no delays, 80 minutes is sufficient if your baggage is checked thru to VIE. Austrian flies from Concourse B. Your incoming flight (UA) which will most likely arrive in Concourse C or D. You can take the Aerotrain from Concourse C or take a shuttle from D gates to the main terminal and then take Aerotrain to B or walk to Concourse C to take the Aerotrain to B gates. The transfer process will take about 15 minutes.

If you arrive @ D gates, I would suggest walking a short distance to C gates and taking the Aerotrain to B gates. It is a lot easier to do that.
If you arrive at D gates, I would take the shuttle from D to A and then simply walk to your OS gate. (A and B are one long building.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: