Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Is Uber OK for a late night arrival at IAD?

Old Sep 26, 17, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a flight getting into IAD at around 1 am. I won't have a car at the airport, and need to get to the Tysons area. I've got friends and family in NoVa, but I don't want to bother them at that hour. From what I can tell from Uber's website, IAD lets Uber pick up pax at the airport without any hassles? Will there be any issue getting a vehicle at 1 am, and any risk of some expensive surge pricing? I did the Uber fare calculator and it said the fare would be about $30. IAD always seems far to me, so that price is OK, especially since I get a monthly discount from my AMEX Platinum (I'm not a big domestic Uber user). I just don't want to be surprised by a $50 or $60 tab (which would motivate me to find another transport solution). Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 17, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You won't have a problem locating an Uber at 1:00 AM at IAD. May take 3-4 minutes instead of 2-3, but that's it. The fare estimator is pretty accurate and if you add 20% for a tip, you are still at $36.

For what it's worth, an UberX will likely run just over half of a taxi, so it's about as good a deal as you will come by to Tysons.
Old Sep 26, 17, 8:27 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I've never had a problem with Uber late at night and have tried in several different areas.
Old Sep 27, 17, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. It certainly sounds like Uber "will work" for me. I just didn't want to get to IAD at 1 am and need a new game plan.
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Uber is easy at IAD, and because of the taxi monopoly they almost always have taxis too, although in experience that's more expensive. (We once arrived on delayed flight at 3am and there were taxis).

As for using Uber at IAD, you'll be asked to select a door when you exit from the baggage claim area (it's slightly up, where cars pick up, not down) for the Uber driver to meet you at (the app will ask for a choice). FWIW, Door 1 has always been a madhouse for me, I assume because that's where international arrivals come out.
Old Sep 28, 17, 2:58 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I have a flight getting into IAD at around 1 am. I won't have a car at the airport, and need to get to the Tysons area. I've got friends and family in NoVa, but I don't want to bother them at that hour. From what I can tell from Uber's website, IAD lets Uber pick up pax at the airport without any hassles? Will there be any issue getting a vehicle at 1 am, and any risk of some expensive surge pricing? I did the Uber fare calculator and it said the fare would be about $30. IAD always seems far to me, so that price is OK, especially since I get a monthly discount from my AMEX Platinum (I'm not a big domestic Uber user). I just don't want to be surprised by a $50 or $60 tab (which would motivate me to find another transport solution). Thanks!
At IAD only one taxi company (Washington Flyer) is authorized to pick up passengers. The transportation network companies (TNCs - Uber, Lyft, etc.) have been approved and officially regulated at IAD and DCA for a couple of years now. There is a specific waiting area for these drivers. Just use the app for your TNC of choice and as mentioned, it will only a be a few minutes for pickup. There should not be any "surge pricing" at that hour.
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:08 am

Cool Newby to Uber and pick up at Dulles

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You won't have a problem locating an Uber at 1:00 AM at IAD. May take 3-4 minutes instead of 2-3, but that's it. The fare estimator is pretty accurate and if you add 20% for a tip, you are still at $36.

For what it's worth, an UberX will likely run just over half of a taxi, so it's about as good a deal as you will come by to Tysons.
I will be arriving around 1 Am as well? Being brand new using Uber, I'm wondering do I schedule Uber in advance or wait until I arrive and am out on the curb to order Uber. Also do discounts really work and which one is best to use? I will be traveling to Haymarket after I arrive. Would like to get an estimate. I'm very nervous 😩 arriving so early as an older woman who is traveling alone. Thank you for any help or suggestions.
Old Jun 25, 19, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT, DL Gold
Dynamic pricing, so it's somewhat hard to get pricing ahead of time. Uber's estimate calculator on their website should give you a decent ballpark.

At 1am, there still won't be any issue getting an Uber or a Lyft at that hour. You can typically request as you arrive into the main terminal from where you land. Use any one of the referral codes for a discount although it's not much (I think around $5). Haymarket is far enough that even the filtering drivers shouldn't give you a hassle about it. It's honestly really straight forward - just make sure you match the plate number with the car you get into.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:01 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by jay526 View Post
Dynamic pricing, so it's somewhat hard to get pricing ahead of time. Uber's estimate calculator on their website should give you a decent ballpark.

At 1am, there still won't be any issue getting an Uber or a Lyft at that hour. You can typically request as you arrive into the main terminal from where you land. Use any one of the referral codes for a discount although it's not much (I think around $5). Haymarket is far enough that even the filtering drivers shouldn't give you a hassle about it. It's honestly really straight forward - just make sure you match the plate number with the car you get into.
This. Check the plate and make/model of the car before you get into the car.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: