Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

How to go to downtown DC from IAD (Dulles - Washington DC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico

What options are there to get from Dulles to downtown DC on a Saturday morning (besides taxi)?
Any transit? Uber? Shuttles? How much would run the cost of the trip?
The hotel I go to is Hilton Garden Inn Downtown
Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Nothing came up when you googled?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Nothing came up when you googled?
This came up probably as the best
http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/trans...ulles-airport/
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:14 am

A car service or taxi is the simplest but if you are willing to go through the exercise, catch the bus from the airport to the Reston Metro station and then the train into Rosslyn station and from there switch to the Orange Line in the direction of New Carrolton. Looks like your hotel is near the McPhearson Square stop on the Orange line. So if you exit at McPhearson, you would walk a block and a half to the hotel.
To get to the metro - this is from the website on transport:
a 10 minute bus ride to Wiehle-Reston East station from Dulles, where you will transfer to Metro Rail. Buses depart every 15-20 minutes to and from the airport. The coach stop is on the arrivals level at door 4.
Unless you have a lot of luggage, this should be easy enough to do on a Saturday. If you look on the hotel website, they estimate a taxi to run about $70 from IAD.

Last edited by profpeabody; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:24 am Reason: added info
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by profpeabody
A car service or taxi is the simplest but if you are willing to go through the exercise, catch the bus from the airport to the Reston Metro station and then the train into Rosslyn station and from there switch to the Orange Line in the direction of New Carrolton. Looks like your hotel is near the McPhearson Square stop on the Orange line. So if you exit at McPhearson, you would walk a block and a half to the hotel.
You don't need to switch to the orange line. The silver line from Wiehl-Reston East will go to McPherson.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - It's really important to let people know what is important to you. As a major international airport, you can access anything from Metro (bus to train) to a high-end car service which meets you inside.

Do you have luggage, are you in decent shape?

I find that the best compromise is Uber / Lyft. Both will run around $50+tip. That is well under a taxi and far less than a real car service.

The public transportation options are painfully slow, complex and a nuisance.

Also - You show YYZ as your base. If you are flying in from YYZ, I would do anything to avoid IAD and head to DCA which is a 10-15 minute taxi / Uber / Metro ride.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - It's really important to let people know what is important to you. As a major international airport, you can access anything from Metro (bus to train) to a high-end car service which meets you inside.

Do you have luggage, are you in decent shape?

I find that the best compromise is Uber / Lyft. Both will run around $50+tip. That is well under a taxi and far less than a real car service.

The public transportation options are painfully slow, complex and a nuisance.

Also - You show YYZ as your base. If you are flying in from YYZ, I would do anything to avoid IAD and head to DCA which is a 10-15 minute taxi / Uber / Metro ride.
IAD is booked already - I am flying out from Toronto Island (YTZ). I am inclined to take UBER to hotel(my wife has some mobility issues - transit doesn't sound OK to me).
So now I am curious how easy is to get UBER at IAD. Do they have a designated pick-up place? Is there wifi available at IAD before exiting the terminal or I will have to use my (expensive Canadian) roaming data?
Thank you.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by ticu
IAD is booked already - I am flying out from Toronto Island (YTZ). I am inclined to take UBER to hotel(my wife has some mobility issues - transit doesn't sound OK to me).
So now I am curious how easy is to get UBER at IAD. Do they have a designated pick-up place? Is there wifi available at IAD before exiting the terminal or I will have to use my (expensive Canadian) roaming data?
Thank you.
All the Network Transportation Companies (ie. Uber, Lyft, etc) are welcome and established at IAD. Just pick your service and the car will pick you very quickly as there are parking/waiting lots for TNCs very close to the terminal.

WiFi is free and usually very good everywhere inside the buildings at IAD.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wrong thread. Sorry!

Last edited by pseudoswede; Oct 4, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.