Road trip from NOLA through KY, PA, VA in fall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road trip from NOLA through KY, PA, VA in fall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

I will probably setting up my hotels in the next few weeks. I may try to meet for a meal somewhere if it is not too far out of the way. I am planning on staying in the same hotel and making day trips to Gettysburg, Lancaster and Hershey from that location. May also visit the Altoona area, I was told it has some nice scenery.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jerryc436
I will probably setting up my hotels in the next few weeks. I may try to meet for a meal somewhere if it is not too far out of the way. I am planning on staying in the same hotel and making day trips to Gettysburg, Lancaster and Hershey from that location. May also visit the Altoona area, I was told it has some nice scenery.
If you go to Altoona, take the train around Horseshoe Curve.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I have reserved my rooms in Lancaster from 9/30 to 10/4. Will stay these four nights leaving on the 4th. Will make day trip to Hershey and may visit Altoona on the same day. Will spend day at Gettysburg and may visit York. Still looking for other things to do in the area if you have any suggestions. Wife and I are both in our 60's and wife is limited in how much she can walk at one time so no hiking is in our plans but looking for good scenery to view.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by jerryc436
I have reserved my rooms in Lancaster from 9/30 to 10/4. Will stay these four nights leaving on the 4th. Will make day trip to Hershey and may visit Altoona on the same day. Will spend day at Gettysburg and may visit York. Still looking for other things to do in the area if you have any suggestions. Wife and I are both in our 60's and wife is limited in how much she can walk at one time so no hiking is in our plans but looking for good scenery to view.
You can check out some of the market houses in York or Lancaster. If you are interested in old bridges, you may want to make a drive along the Susquehanna River: http://www.railfanguides.us/pa/rockville/

You might want to consider dinner at the John Wright Restaurant. Good food, gorgeous views of the river.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:42 am

Other thoughts on scenery... The drive to Altoona is scenic, and you can drive another 45 minutes or so to Johnstown, then take the incline. You can also see the Johnstown Flood Museum.

If you want to meet for dinner or drinks one night while you are in the area, let me know.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Dinner

Dinner one night sounds good. I will be driving in from Harrisonburg, Va on 9/30 so either that night or the next may work.

Last edited by jerryc436; Sep 13, 2017 at 7:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.