Search

National Arboretum Wash DC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
National Arboretum Wash DC

Anyone ever been to the National Arboretum in Wash DC? Any information/recommendations? Thanx for any information.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:00 pm

It's a bit spread out, so expect some serious walking or to drive to the various parking lots strewn throughout the grounds. The visitor center / bonsai garden / herb garden are all at the area by the "main" parking lot. The giant columns are kind of fun, you feel a bit like you're exploring ancient ruins (ok, maybe that's a stretch). There are a few other collections around... I like the Asian Collections the best, and also the "slow-growing conifer" collection. Although I didn't see them, apparently eagles live there? While you're in the area, I would go to the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens (I prefer them to the Arboretum, but I like marshy areas a lot!). Have fun!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:33 am

I try to go several times a year. It's lovely and free, but it's definitely a scientific arboretum, not a show/ornamental garden--they make an effort to arrange things nicely when they can, but it's not the primary purpose of the collection. Also be aware it is not easily accessed via public transportation--you can take a bus there, but if you're touristing a car or cab is your friend.

Seconding Kenilworth as another worthy destination, as well as the US Botanical Garden. On the admission-fee-required side of things, Brookside Gardens and Hillwood Estate are also nice.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
Although I didn't see them, apparently eagles live there?
Indeed. The Zoo's Panda Cam has been joined by the Arboretum's "Eagle Cam"

http://www.dceaglecam.org/
Old May 3, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
When do you plan to go? Spring is quite nice around here . . . but by late summer typically most things are a bit parched and not terribly attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.