Community
Wiki Posts
Search

walking to IAD from Herndon possible?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

walking to IAD from Herndon possible?

I have a 630 am flight on a Sunday and that day the rates at the airport Marriott are significantly higher than the ones just located a mile away in Herndon. It would be a 3 mile car ride...but I enjoy walking. Google maps gives me a huge deviation resulting in a 7 mile walk as it appears that the roads to IAD are not ped friendly. Can anyone confirm?

I could always uber / taxi in the morning I suppose. Rather save some money.

Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by ragerforever
I have a 630 am flight on a Sunday and that day the rates at the airport Marriott are significantly higher than the ones just located a mile away in Herndon. It would be a 3 mile car ride...but I enjoy walking. Google maps gives me a huge deviation resulting in a 7 mile walk as it appears that the roads to IAD are not ped friendly. Can anyone confirm?

I could always uber / taxi in the morning I suppose. Rather save some money.

Thank you!
You can't walk to IAD using the most direct route because it is all highway with avg traffic speeds upwards of 60 mph. Not only that, the highway splits into 2 (at Rt-28) after Herndon, with the left branch going on to the airport - there's no way you can cross to the left branch on foot, that would entail crossing 4 lanes.

All the airport hotels must have free shuttles - if your aim is to save cost.

Uber will be around $12-13
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I am currently at the Crowne Plaza in Herndon and have spent many weeks here over the past 18 months.

You can't walk to the airport.

All hotels here here provide free shuttles as stated above.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: United MP
I don't know if it is okay, but you probably could walk route 606 to Ariane way and cut over to Autopilot drive. It's a long way and there aren't any sidewalks in some places.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:04 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
No successful reports in Walk to/from the Airport to save money ...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Maybe the OP can be the first one to do it!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It would be very dangerous, I think, and impossible with rolling luggage, as you'd be on the grass verge of a high-speed road much of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.