Tolls PHL to AC

Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Tolls PHL to AC

So, google tells me that I have to pay about $12.50 in tolls between PHL and AC.

I'm just wondering how to pay them. I'm a little concerned that my UK cards wont work. I'll have cash, but not exact change, and just big bills.

Do I need exact change, or will they be able to break them? -in fact, will there be cash lanes?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
So, google tells me that I have to pay about $12.50 in tolls between PHL and AC.

I'm just wondering how to pay them. I'm a little concerned that my UK cards wont work. I'll have cash, but not exact change, and just big bills.

Do I need exact change, or will they be able to break them? -in fact, will there be cash lanes?
It appears that there are cash lanes on the Atlantic City Expressway and on the Delaware River bridges that connect the Philadelphia area with New Jersey. Toll takers should be able to make change -- at least for bills up to $20, I would think.

But are you sure you want to drive? There is frequent bus and train service connecting the two cities.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:02 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
The Betsy Ross and Tacony bridges are free eastbound; there are cash lanes westbound, 5 for the Betsy Ross and IIRC 4 for the Tacony (though I have not paid cash in a while, I have a pass). You can take the BR bridge to 73 then hit the AC in the middle. Takes longer but saves some cash.

You can pay cash on the AC the entire way. No credit cards as far as I remember
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by aceman

If you're going to do much driving in PA/NJ and surrounding states, consider getting an EZ-Pass transponder. You preload it, usually about $40, and then you never have to worry about cash for tolls and many places there are faster, pass only lanes. If you use up what has been preloaded, you can reload the pass online.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Mar 24, 2017 at 6:25 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Thanks,

im just going to take the most direct route, I basically have a car by default since it brought down the price of my flight. I'm pretty much just driving down, maybe making one quick trip to a store, and then a couple of days later coming back.

guess I'll just break a bill at the airport
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
If you have a rental car, you can inquire about getting one with an EZ Pass. That makes things convenient as you won't need cash and EZ Pass lanes are typically faster to go through.

The downside is that the rental companies add a surcharge for every day of your rental if you use it at least once. From the Hertz website: "If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental including any days on which PlatePass is not used, up to a maximum of $24.75 per rental, plus incurred tolls at the Toll Authority's cash toll rate or highest undiscounted toll rate. " That's a total ripoff, but you pay for convenience.

Another nice thing about using EZ Pass is that there are exits that are EZ Pass only (don't take cash at all). Could be more convenient depending on where you are going. I'm not sure if those exist on the AC Expressway (which I'm guessing is the route you'll be taking) but it does seem likely.

Last edited by bitburgr; Mar 24, 2017 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Another nice thing about using EZ Pass is that there are exits that are EZ Pass only (don't take cash at all). Could be more convenient depending on where you are going. I'm not sure if those exist on the AC Expressway (which I'm guessing is the route you'll be taking) but it does seem likely.
There are also EZ-Pass only entrances, which can be a huge help. The closest entrance to me is EZ-Pass only, using it saves me about 10 miles and 25 minutes when I'm going south/west on the turnpike.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
The Betsy Ross and Tacony bridges are free eastbound; there are cash lanes westbound, 5 for the Betsy Ross and IIRC 4 for the Tacony (though I have not paid cash in a while, I have a pass). You can take the BR bridge to 73 then hit the AC in the middle. Takes longer but saves some cash.

You can pay cash on the AC the entire way. No credit cards as far as I remember
No Credit Cards and the Walt W and Ben F (both much more convenient to get to the 42 then AC Expressway, especially with horrid construction traffic on 95) are the same $5 price westbound (free eastbound as you mention) as the Betsy Ross. To save a dollar, one could come back on the Commodore Barry, but not worth the extra time and gas in my opinion. Have some $20s (or less) and you will be fine!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.