Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Best way to get into town from PHL with an infant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold

We're flying into PHL in a few weeks and have a 9-month old in tow. I wanted to know how difficult it would be to get a cab with an infant car seat?

I wouldn't be against renting a car for one day but prices from PHL seem exorbitant.
Old May 14, 2016, 2:02 am

Unfortunately all the cab companies in Philly stopped offering on-demand taxis with car seats. That being said if you're bringing your own seat, I've never had problems with taxis in Philly letting me install it myself (many non-crown-vic cabs in Philly have LATCH points)

Unlike in NY there is no legal requirement for the baby to be in a car seat while in a taxi - but thats a risk/decision up to the individual.

One other option, depending on your destination is taking SEPTA. The train from PHL will let you leave your baby in a stroller for the entire ride, and its a roll-on-roll-off situation (for any of the Center City destinations) so no need to even lift the stroller up/down
Old May 14, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by neos
We're flying into PHL in a few weeks and have a 9-month old in tow. I wanted to know how difficult it would be to get a cab with an infant car seat?
Take Septa. I live in the PHL metro area and cabs in this region are generally awful and overpriced. Plus the traffic to/from the airport is usually a mess now that road construction season has started. Within the downtown area traffic is such that you can often walk to your destination far faster than a cab can get you there.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Take Septa. I live in the PHL metro area and cabs in this region are generally awful and overpriced. Plus the traffic to/from the airport is usually a mess now that road construction season has started. Within the downtown area traffic is such that you can often walk to your destination far faster than a cab can get you there.
As a frequent PHL visitor (not a resident) I agree with the bold. We use Uber exclusively (usually XL or Black) when staying in the city.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:58 pm

Yeah depending on where your going the R1 SEPTA to Center City would probably be the easiest.

Just walk out of the terminal and down the stairs to the SEPTA station. Its 8 bucks a person and takes you right to 30th street station

Dave
Old May 19, 2016, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by seagull22ds
Yeah depending on where your going the R1 SEPTA to Center City would probably be the easiest.

Just walk out of the terminal and down the stairs to the SEPTA station. Its 8 bucks a person and takes you right to 30th street station

Dave
From the terminal to one of the Septa stops at the airport, the easiest way is to take the skybridge over the street and then either stairs or elevator to the platform.

On Septa.org you can find more info on the fares and options from the airport to City Center. If you think you will be making more than one or two trips by public transit in a given day, consider getting an Independence Pass from the conductor for unlimited rides in a single day. From the website you can also purchase tickets by mail if you have enough lead time. Advance tickets are cheaper than buying them on the train.

If you want to be downtown (aka City Center), the station you'd want is either Suburban Station or Jefferson, not 30th Street, which is on the opposite side of the river from City Center.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GfL
If you want to be downtown (aka City Center), the station you'd want is either Suburban Station or Jefferson, not 30th Street, which is on the opposite side of the river from City Center.
Downtown Philly is referred to as Center City, not City Center.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Downtown Philly is referred to as Center City, not City Center.
I live here. Both are heard on a regular basis.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I've never heard anyone call it City Center. I have lived either in Philly, or 45 minutes from it, for 20 years. If you can point me to a written reference, I'd be interested to see one.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
ditto. I've lived in Center City since 1990.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:01 am

No one from Philly says anything but Center City for that area.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by peetahvw
Unlike in NY there is no legal requirement for the baby to be in a car seat while in a taxi - but thats a risk/decision up to the individual.
That requirement doesn't exist in NYC either.

"Drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers, are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/faq/faq_pass.shtml
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zooter
No one from Philly says anything but Center City for that area.
I agree.

At PHL, it's easy to find the elevators down to the SEPTA platform, but at other stations, they can be harder to find.

You might also want to check on car service costs. For example, when yellow cab started a fixed rate sedan car division, their prices were comparable too taxi fares during normal (but not particularly light) traffic.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by seagull22ds
This is probably a moot point for the OP by now, but for posterity's sake I'll mention that the Airport line, like all other SEPTA Regional Rail services, is no longer referred to by its "R" designation. The Airline Line is now simply the "Airport Line."
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:47 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What is the status of the Airport Line service with the current SEPTA equipment issues? Would the train still be the advisable solution not only for OP but for PHL visitors in general since from what I've seen they are kind of making up schedules on the fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.