Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Premium Area to stay for 4th of July

Premium Area to stay for 4th of July

Old Apr 20, 16, 6:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,209
Premium Area to stay for 4th of July

We are visiting DC for the first time around 4th of July. Is there any hotel or area that would be close to the activities, fireworks, parade.. etc? I was planning to stay at either Washington Hilton or Doubletree, but I am open to other suggestions! Thanks.
Need is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 10:22 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: south of WAS DC
Posts: 10,131
to m y mind, those are not "premium" hotels. the hotel at which we found the best 4th example has been the hay adams. it is quite expensive.
slawecki is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 10:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,209
Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
to m y mind, those are not "premium" hotels. the hotel at which we found the best 4th example has been the hay adams. it is quite expensive.
Not premium hotel.. I meant premium area... like this hotel is on the path the parade and you can see the parade looking out the window. Or this hotel is right next to the 4th of July concert picnic.. etc....

I was told to stay near Dupont circle, but there were hotels north of it, south of it, southeast of it...and then I also read most of the activities are near National Mall?
Need is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 11:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WAS
Posts: 339
The activities are on the National Mall. There are no hotels "right next to" the concert; the Mall is flanked by museums and other federal buildings. If you want to watch the concert and fireworks on the Mall, though, it does behoove you to stay walking distance from the Mall, because public transportation in downtown DC on the evening of July 4th is a nightmare (and don't even think about driving to the Mall). The Washington Hilton is about three miles from the concert area. I consider that walking distance; you might not.

If your goal is to stick with Hilton, the Hilton Garden Inn Washington Downtown and the Embassy Suites - Conference Center are your best bets. (I know nothing about the hotels, I'm just saying this based on location.) There are other chains with closer properties, but without knowing anything about your budget or other preferences it's hard to pick one.
ambyr is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 11:58 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,209
Originally Posted by ambyr View Post
The activities are on the National Mall. There are no hotels "right next to" the concert; the Mall is flanked by museums and other federal buildings. If you want to watch the concert and fireworks on the Mall, though, it does behoove you to stay walking distance from the Mall, because public transportation in downtown DC on the evening of July 4th is a nightmare (and don't even think about driving to the Mall). The Washington Hilton is about three miles from the concert area. I consider that walking distance; you might not.

If your goal is to stick with Hilton, the Hilton Garden Inn Washington Downtown and the Embassy Suites - Conference Center are your best bets. (I know nothing about the hotels, I'm just saying this based on location.) There are other chains with closer properties, but without knowing anything about your budget or other preferences it's hard to pick one.
Thanks that's what I am looking for. Close to the Mall.. got it.
Need is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 1:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WAS
Posts: 339
More specifically, the concert is on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol (east end of the Mall), the fireworks are launched from between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial (west end of the Mall), the parade is down Constitution Avenue (north side of the Mall), and the daytime Folklife Festival is on the Mall between 4th and 7th St.

If being close to the concert or the fireworks is important to you, I'd recommend snagging seats at whichever end of the Mall you prefer by mid afternoon and staying put. Bring blankets, chairs, food, and whatever you need to entertain yourself--but check in advance to make sure you're not bringing any prohibited items, because security is pretty thorough. Expect to spend a lot of time waiting in line to get through security.
ambyr is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 2:55 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 789
You also seem to be pretty in with Marriott and Hyatt. There are a number of Marriott and Hyatt properties that are walking distance (for me, at least) from the Mall.

There's the JW Marriott at 14th and Penn
There's the Grand Hyatt over by NY Avenue and a Park Hyatt closer to Georgetown over on M Street
I also think there's a Hampton in somewhere near M Street. It's been a while.

Here's last years National Park Service site on the fireworks.
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalmall4th/index.htm
Though things change, here's the list of prohibited items
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nationa...ited-items.htm
I honestly remember the list being a LOT longer with things like umbrellas and hard sided cooler boxes also prohibited. But, I could be confusing that with other events (Inauguration?).

At the Capitol, it's the aforementioned A Capitol Fourth Concert
Some info from 2015 is here
http://www.pbs.org/a-capitol-fourth/about/faqs/
If you're at the concert you can actually look back - away from the stage - and watch the fireworks down (up?) at the other end of the mall.
jsnydcsa is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 3:09 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,492
Depending on what area of the Mall you want (crowds around the reflecting pool or close to museums), the Willard is will located and slightly closer to the Mall than the Hay Adams. It's an iconic historic property too.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 20, 16, 3:28 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WAS
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa View Post
I honestly remember the list being a LOT longer with things like umbrellas and hard sided cooler boxes also prohibited. But, I could be confusing that with other events (Inauguration?).
I don't think you're confused; I think it's relaxed considerably over time (thankfully!)
ambyr is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 8:20 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,209
Thanks so much all. I think I am going to go with JW Marriott. We are very excited to be in DC.
Need is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 2:27 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: south of WAS DC
Posts: 10,131
you will be much less excited when the temp hits 100+F, but will cool down in the thunderstorm.................

these are big fireworks. we have watched them from rosslyn. plenty close enough. the tour boats give a great view. you can try to reserve one of those.
slawecki is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 2:58 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 789
Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
you will be much less excited when the temp hits 100+F, but will cool down in the thunderstorm.................
If this is really a bucket list thing, then go for it. However, long ago (pre-9/11) and more recently, I've done this with the masses on the mall and at far more exclusive locations and I can tell you that 100% of the time, all the time, the crowds are large, the temps are terrible, there's always a chance of a thunderstorm and, no matter where you our the trek from everywhere on/near the mall to areas away from the mall is crowded and slog. Don't even think about Metro, IMHO.

Another option -for viewing not staying - is the park areas across the river but these get very crowded as well and there are similar restrictions on what you can bring into the parks (both on foot and in a vehicle).

I've done it, so it's easy for me to say, meh and not recommend doing. But, be prepared, it'll be a LONG day and LONG night.
jsnydcsa is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 3:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WAS
Posts: 339
I will be the dissenting voice and say that I've watched the fireworks from the Mall every year since 2004 except one, and I love the experience. But I also in general love both crowds and DC's summer temperatures.

I've never understood the appeal of the parade, though. And jsnydcsa is absolutely right about not even thinking about the Metro--even given my love of crowds, I would and have walked six miles home to avoid that crush of people post-fireworks show.
ambyr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: