Wiki Posts
Search

Sweet 16/Elite 8 in Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold

I'm visiting NYC from London over Easter thanks to last August's BA mistake fare and thinking about a trip to Philadelphia a) because it seems there's a few good things to see and b) I quite like the idea of attending the NCAA tournament.

If I want a ticket for either the 25th or 27th am I better off buying from one of those resale sites, or waiting until nearer the time or on the day and buying outside the venue?

Prices on the resale sites are upwards of $150, I suppose my aim is to either pay as little as possible or get the best value if I have to pay a bit more.

Any help/advice gratefully received.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I would recommend going with the online reseller as opposed to the people in front of the venue. The people in front of the venue may be selling a counterfeit ticket.

It's guaranteed that this event will sell out so I would buy sooner rather than later but YMMV.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AMflier

It's guaranteed that this event will sell out so I would buy sooner rather than later but YMMV.
It already has sold out if the tickets are on those resale sites?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mattyw
It already has sold out if the tickets are on those resale sites?
It technically hasn't sold out on the primary market as there are a few very premium packages available.

On the secondary market, there's currently good availability for both days on Stub Hub, I haven't checked other sites.

I noted the sell out just to say that the odds of the prices going significantly down is quite small as there won't be many additional tickets coming to the market.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:55 am
Original Poster

I noted the sell out just to say that the odds of the prices going significantly down is quite small as there won't be many additional tickets coming to the market.
In that case I will take the plunge and buy a ticket. Thanks for your help
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Basketball is great fun at the Wells Fargo Center - definitely buy online at stubhub and never outside venue. Philly has a great deal to see and even more to eat and drink as our restaurant scene and craft beers is pretty great. I have some philly posts on my blog (same as user name) and DM me if you need any suggestions for the visit - I used to work for a UK firm and would take the visitors around the city or provide itineraries which included where to find the best filet and watch football
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I'll reiterate what the poster above said: Philly is a great city with lots to see and some of the best restaurants in the country. We are now a World Heritage City! If you need tour and sightseeing advice, my good friends run a top-notch tour company here in the city. They would be able to assist you with any of your needs while you visit the city, and they are Brits originally! :-)

Here is their website: http://www.phillytourhub.com/Home.aspx
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I have some philly posts on my blog (same as user name) and DM me if you need any suggestions for the visit - I used to work for a UK firm and would take the visitors around the city or provide itineraries which included where to find the best filet and watch football
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I'll reiterate what the poster above said: Philly is a great city with lots to see and some of the best restaurants in the country. We are now a World Heritage City! If you need tour and sightseeing advice, my good friends run a top-notch tour company here in the city. They would be able to assist you with any of your needs while you visit the city, and they are Brits originally! :-)

Here is their website: http://www.phillytourhub.com/Home.aspx
Thanks Philatravelgirl and rittenhousesq for your advice, I will make sure to investigate your suggestions.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:40 am

Basketball is great fun at the Wells Fargo Center - definitely buy online at stubhub and never outside venue.
Apologies mattyw, but I would like to piggyback on this thread as it got me to finally go watch a Sixers match this Saturday/tomorrow. Thanks for the stubhub tip, Philatravelgirl

Now, there's two hotels in question: The Holiday Inn and Courtyard. Both are equally priced, although I prefer CY because of points accrual.

The Holiday Inn is a longer walk, which appears to pass by at least a few bars, rather than just parking lots coming from the Courtyard.

Will there be anything going on in the streets tomorrow, walking from the Holiday Inn, that would justify that longer walk? Music, People, Carnival Atmosphere to take in?

Never been to the area, and StreetView only tells you so much

Any comments are highly appreciated

Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
The courtyard is new hotel in the Navy Yard closer to venue - there is a restaurant/bar on way to venue but nothing else there. The Holiday Inn does have parking lots/stadiums to walk by to Wells Fargo Center. There is nothing going on in that area tomorrow.

You can take the Broad Street Subway into Center City for the Flower Show at Convention Center or to the opening day of Pixar Exhibit at Franklin Institute. Reach out on Twitter @philatravelgirl if need more info
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:17 pm

The courtyard is new hotel in the Navy Yard closer to venue - there is a restaurant/bar on way to venue but nothing else there. The Holiday Inn does have parking lots/stadiums to walk by to Wells Fargo Center. There is nothing going on in that area tomorrow.

You can take the Broad Street Subway into Center City for the Flower Show at Convention Center or to the opening day of Pixar Exhibit at Franklin Institute. Reach out on Twitter @philatravelgirl if need more info
Thank you! There was indeed nothing going on, was good to know what to expect
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:32 pm

Actually if you are in Philadelphia and want to see basketball at an amazing venue, check out the Big 5 college games at the Palestra on the University of Pennsylvania campus.
It lives up to it's nickname as the Cathedral of College Basketball.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Actually if you are in Philadelphia and want to see basketball at an amazing venue, check out the Big 5 college games at the Palestra on the University of Pennsylvania campus.
It lives up to it's nickname as the Cathedral of College Basketball.
Sounds like something to bear in mind for future years
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:55 am
rev

Originally Posted by gpia
Will there be anything going on in the streets tomorrow, walking from the Holiday Inn, that would justify that longer walk? Music, People, Carnival Atmosphere to take in?

Never been to the area, and StreetView only tells you so much
You're definitely going to want to take the Broad Street Line to Center City if you're looking for things to do while you're not at the games. There's a few places to go down your way, such as Chickie and Pete's on Packer Ave - named ESPN's #1 sports bar in the country, and Xfinity live, which has 6 restaurant/bars, often good live music in the Victory beer hall, and possibly the biggest TV you may ever see in a bar. I wouldn't go late though, they've been known to charge up to $20 covers later in the evenings!

Usually people want to check out the history, so you'd want to head to Old City, the next neighborhood east of Center City/Washington Square, where you can see Independence Hall, The constitution center, Betsy Ross house, Ben Franklin's grave all within very close proximity to each other. You'll find a ton of great options for food and craft beers around that area and Center City as well, but it all depends what you're looking for. Also, I believe yesterday was the last day for the flower show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.