Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

PHL terminal bus F to A time?

Old Sep 21, 15, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I have a time frame of 45 min. from projected landing time in terminal F to projected take off time in terminal A. Will this be enough time to take the shuttle bus all the way around to terminal A? I will have a carry on only to worry about. The flight I am trying to plan for is to LAX. I don't know where to find specific details about the on time statuses for American Airlines at PHL. I am just worried about making the connector to LA.
Old Sep 21, 15, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
It is possible to wait up to 15 minutes for the inter-terminal shuttle bus (I'm not sure what the official schedule is, but I've waited that long). In addition, PHL is a very busy airport that has frequent delays for all sorts of reasons, including delays between landing and parking at the gate. So I would say 45 minutes is cutting it rather fine. You might make it, but there's an equal-to-greater chance that you won't. Take an earlier inbound flight and rest easy.
Old Sep 21, 15, 8:54 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...l-airport.html
Old Sep 22, 15, 7:07 am

I am not a frequently flyer like many on this forum but PHL is the airport we fly thru a couple of times a year, always a F to A (and the reverse on return) connection.

I would not chose a 40 minute connection. Carry-on luggage can work against you if you are on a regional jet or Dash 8 because so much has to get gate checked. The ground crew is usually pretty good about getting it to the gate but it is still a delay.

We typically land in PHL between 6:30-7:30am and the buses seem to run smoothly at that time of day but one hiccup and you're in trouble if you have less than 50 minutes. Last time I timed it, it took 25 minutes from my feet hitting the ground at my F gate and the boarding area of my A gate. One too many times my next flight was boarding as I walked up to the gate, that is too close for comfort for me so I look for at least 90 minutes.

The PHL is long and gate location within each terminal can make a difference as well.
Old Sep 22, 15, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a doable connection. First and foremost, if your A departure is international, US requires you to be at the gate no later than T-30 (T-15 if this is domestic). While you will generally be permitted to board after that up until approx. T-10, if the flight is overbooked and at risk of oversale, US will offload you before it pays IDB/VDB compensation to others.

The time frames above are slightly too favorable. Not only does the arrival time at F denote the time at which the brakes are locked at the gate, but the inter-terminal shuttle runs on the ramp and aircraft have priority. This means that you may sit in the shuttle for an extra 5-10 minutes enroute if there is heavy departure/arrival traffic.

For planning purposes and presuming that your carry-ons are physically with you and that you are near the front of the aircraft, I would allow:

1. 10 minutes from brakes locked to shuttle at F.
2. 15 minute wait for shuttle
3. 20 minutes inter-terminal (including 10 minutes of ground stop time)
4. 10 minutes from shuttle to A gate (could be less if close gate)

That is 55 minutes. If this is an international flight, you need 1:25. If domestic, it is 1:10.

All of this presumes an ontime arrival at F. At PHL, depending on time of day, that is far from certain. PHL is in the middle of the worst ATC area in the country, prone to minor WX delays and it is short hops (if you are arriving at F it's not widebody) which bear the brunt of those.
Old Sep 24, 15, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is not a doable connection. First and foremost, if your A departure is international, US requires you to be at the gate no later than T-30 (T-15 if this is domestic). While you will generally be permitted to board after that up until approx. T-10, if the flight is overbooked and at risk of oversale, US will offload you before it pays IDB/VDB compensation to others.

The time frames above are slightly too favorable. Not only does the arrival time at F denote the time at which the brakes are locked at the gate, but the inter-terminal shuttle runs on the ramp and aircraft have priority. This means that you may sit in the shuttle for an extra 5-10 minutes enroute if there is heavy departure/arrival traffic.

For planning purposes and presuming that your carry-ons are physically with you and that you are near the front of the aircraft, I would allow:

1. 10 minutes from brakes locked to shuttle at F.
2. 15 minute wait for shuttle
3. 20 minutes inter-terminal (including 10 minutes of ground stop time)
4. 10 minutes from shuttle to A gate (could be less if close gate)

That is 55 minutes. If this is an international flight, you need 1:25. If domestic, it is 1:10.

All of this presumes an ontime arrival at F. At PHL, depending on time of day, that is far from certain. PHL is in the middle of the worst ATC area in the country, prone to minor WX delays and it is short hops (if you are arriving at F it's not widebody) which bear the brunt of those.
The OP's connecting flight is to LAX but it would be still a tight connection. The biggest problem, IMO, is waiting for a gate and, as you point out, it can be a lengthy ride from F to A depending on the time of day.

Bobette
Old Oct 1, 15, 6:20 am

A 45 minute connection from Terminally F'd to mainline? I wouldn't do it, even on a bet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: